Old 12-07-2004, 08:25 AM
King Ghidora

Default question about a berry plant from southern Ohio

http://www.fotop.net/KingGhidora/plant_photos

I found this berry plant growing on the north side of a
limestone rock overhang. I'm guess it might be Elderberry
but that's just a guess. Can anyone give me the correct
name for this plant?

-------------------------------------

There's a place on this earth my people call home,
There's hills and hollers everywhere and lots of room to roam,
We're noted for our hard times and God's greatest creation,
We're the people of the Hillbilly Nation.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Cereus-validus

Nope, its not Elderberry. Elderberry is a shrub.

Its Maianthemum (formerly Smilacina) racemosum.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:24 PM
M. Tiefert

On 12 Jul 2004 13:53:29 GMT, Iris Cohen wrote:

False Solomon's seal, Smilacina stellata. I don't think they are edible.
It is
a very common woodland plant.

And the mnemonic for telling false Solomon's seal from Solomon's seal is
that the real King Solomon signed each letter individually, but the false
one waited till he got to the end and signed all of them at once. (False
Solomon's seal has flowers/fruit at the end of the plant, the "true" kind
has a flower/fruit at each leaf.)

cheers,

Marj
--
Mediterranean Garden Advice and Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden/
Also: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/...gardening.html

Old 13-07-2004, 03:00 AM
Cereus-validus

I guess nobody told you, Iris.

All former Smilacina are now in Maianthemum.

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
False Solomon's seal, Smilacina stellata. I don't think they are edible.

It is
a very common woodland plant.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 13-07-2004, 03:09 AM
Cereus-validus

Interesting bit of folklore.

Too bad its only partially true.

So how can you explain away Heteropolygonatum with both terminal and
axillary flowers?

newspsa1eqgq7adtv40@matservices...

Old 13-07-2004, 03:31 AM
King Ghidora

Thanks for the help but it's not too common in my neck of
the woods. I have spent a lot of time in the woods in my
tme and I don't remember every seeing this particular plant
here. It's probably just not common in this area.

We used to try and stump my grandmother on plants when I was
a kid. She was a horticulture major in college and she
pretty much knew every plant you could find. In fact we
never found anything she couldn't identify quickly. My
point here is that we looked for unusal plants but I don't
remember ever seeing one of these. No one else I have asked
from this area has seen one either.

Anyway thanks again for the help.

wrote:

:False Solomon's seal, Smilacina stellata. I don't think they are edible. It is
:a very common woodland plant.
:Iris,
:Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
:"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the oncoming
:train."
:Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

-------------------------------------

Old 13-07-2004, 09:25 PM
M. Tiefert

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 01:09:37 GMT, Cereus-validus
wrote:

Interesting bit of folklore.

Too bad its only partially true.

So how can you explain away Heteropolygonatum with both terminal and
axillary flowers?

Simple - I've never seen any! ;-)

Do they grow in southern Ohio?

cheers,

Marj
Old 13-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Cereus-validus

Ignorance is bliss!!!

Wouldn't it be better if you were in Missouri, the "Show Me " state?

There are many things that don't grow in Ohio, Larg Marj.

newspsa3b8unaadtv40@matservices...

Old 14-07-2004, 09:29 PM
M. Tiefert

wrote:

Interesting bit of folklore.

Too bad its only partially true.

So how can you explain away Heteropolygonatum with both terminal and
axillary flowers?

Simple - I've never seen any! ;-)

Do they grow in southern Ohio?

It was merely a mnemonic for telling one kind from one other kind. Not
even folklore - just a way of keeping the two straight. Why are you making
such a big deal out of it? Life's too short...

cheers,

Marj

Old 14-07-2004, 11:09 PM
Cereus-validus

I'm not making a big deal out of it, Larg Marg.

You are the one keeping this thread going.

The point was that your simplistic mnemonic may be true for the few species
found in Ohio but is not true for the rest of the world.

The same for the old adage that all Lamiaceae have square stems. That may be
true for North American and European species but, most but not all do
worldwide. There are many species in other plant families with square stems
also.

Common knowledge is usually wrong!

newspsa463wu4adtv40@matservices...

Old 15-07-2004, 03:18 AM
Iris Cohen

I think another one of my messages got lost. I wrote that the plant in question
is false Solomon's seal, Smilacina stellata or Smilacina racemosa. That should
be the end of the discussion.
Old 15-07-2004, 06:17 AM
Cereus-validus

Sorry but you are not the last word on the subject, babe.

You are out-of-date, Iris.

Smilacina is now considered synonymous with Maianthemum.

Old 15-07-2004, 03:21 PM
Iris Cohen

Smilacina is now considered synonymous with Maianthemum.

I wondered about that, since false Solomon's seal was also listed under that
name. Thanks for the update. From looking at pictures of both species, I would
guess that the plant in question is Maianthemum racemosum, the feathery false
Solomon's seal.
Old 15-07-2004, 05:08 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Help Wanted

Turns out the request is from a college student in Croatia who is struggling
with English texts. I sent him a couple of URLs with drawings. Anybody here
speak Croatian?
Old 15-07-2004, 08:58 PM
M. Tiefert

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:09:44 GMT, Cereus-validus
wrote:

I'm not making a big deal out of it, Larg Marg.

You're the one who's getting upset about it.

...The point was that your simplistic mnemonic may be true for the few
species
found in Ohio but is not true for the rest of the world.

And my point is that the OP was specifically asking about Ohio plants, so
an Ohio-specific answer is appropriate.

Have a nice rest of the day! :-)

cheers,

Marj
--
Mediterranean Garden Advice and Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden/
Also: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/...gardening.html
In Sunset zone 14-mild

Can someone identify this plant / berry / weed Kevin Cherkauer Gardening 6 09-08-2017 12:55 AM
Damn! forgot name of Purple-berry plant... MG United Kingdom 2 21-11-2004 10:37 PM
Berry plant ID? Skirmishd Gardening 6 01-08-2004 12:44 AM
Aljerita berry bush question Help Shell91 Gardening 1 29-10-2003 07:02 PM
winter berry plant ev United Kingdom 0 05-04-2003 04:32 PM