GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Identify please ! - unbekannte_Pflanze_s.jpg [1/1] (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/81423-identify-please-unbekannte_pflanze_s-jpg-%5B1-1%5D.html)

Peter 14-07-2004 06:34 PM

Identify please ! - unbekannte_Pflanze_s.jpg [1/1]

I hope it's not a problem to upload a foto in this group.

A friend of mine has this 'thing' growing in his backyard. Nearly 6ft
tall by now.
Anybody have an Idea what it could be ?

reply here or e-mail to

Thanks !

Peter

Monique Reed 14-07-2004 07:06 PM

Identify please ! - unbekannte_Pflanze_s.jpg [1/1]

If it's very, very fuzzy, it's a mullein--Verbascum in the
Scrophulariaceae (looks like V. thapsus--if that species grows in
Europe, that may be it.) Leaves of U.S. species were used as toilet
tissue by early settlers. Roman ladies made a hair rinse out of
theirs, and the long stems can be soaked in flammables and used as
torches. A fun plant.

M. Reed
Texas A&M

Peter wrote:

I hope it's not a problem to upload a foto in this group.

A friend of mine has this 'thing' growing in his backyard. Nearly 6ft
tall by now.
Anybody have an Idea what it could be ?

reply here or e-mail to

Thanks !

Peter

[Image]

--
˙WPC5

Peter 15-07-2004 08:54 PM

Identify please ! - unbekannte_Pflanze_s.jpg [1/1]

Yes - I would say that it is V. thapsus. It is common in UK and this year
there seems to a glut of them. I have 8 in my garden alone, growing
unbidden, but no less welcome.

Peter

ews.com...