GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   interesting flower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/81432-interesting-flower.html)

Bernhard Kuemel 25-07-2004 12:08 PM

interesting flower

Hi sbb!

This interesting flower grew on my windowsill:

http://bksys.at/bernhard/img/dscn3341.html

Why are its leaves like needles? The bud is about 1 cm dia. Has
nature not invented broad leaves when it created this plant, or
is it adapted to wind or something?

Bernhard

--
Webspace; Low end Serverhousing ab 15 e, etc.: http://www.bksys.at
Linux Admin/Programmierer: http://bksys.at/bernhard/services.html

P van Rijckevorsel 25-07-2004 01:02 PM

interesting flower

I am seeing neither leaves nor anything like needles.
What I am seeing is the lovely green branched screen below the flower,
designed to attract the attention (and it does! What more do you want?).
PvR

Bernhard Kuemel schreef

Iris Cohen 25-07-2004 01:42 PM

interesting flower

This interesting flower grew on my windowsill:

Nigella sativa. In English we call it love-in-a-mist.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Bernhard Kuemel 25-07-2004 09:21 PM

interesting flower

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
I am seeing neither leaves nor anything like needles.
What I am seeing is the lovely green branched screen below the flower,

Well, the branches are rather thin and pointy, that's what I
meant with 'it looks like needles.' And as there are no leaves in
the broad and flat sense, I thought that are leaves.

BTW, any other leaves in the background are from other plants.

designed to attract the attention (and it does! What more do you want?).

Really? The branches attract attention? Well, my attention, but
any other attention? Like bud leaves attract insects to spread
pollen. Fruit attracts animals to carry away and spread seeds.

Bernhard

Leo Michels 25-07-2004 09:33 PM

interesting flower

(Iris Cohen) meinte:

This interesting flower grew on my windowsill:

Nigella sativa. In English we call it love-in-a-mist.

More likely Nigella damascena, but it should have only 5 petals !?

German names are "Jungfer im Gruenen" or "Braut in Haaren".

Leo

--
http://www.imagines-plantarum.de

P van Rijckevorsel 26-07-2004 10:14 AM

interesting flower

Bernhard Kuemel schreef
Well, the branches are rather thin and pointy, that's what I

meant with 'it looks like needles.' And as there are no leaves in
the broad and flat sense, I thought that are leaves.

BTW, any other leaves in the background are from other plants.

+ + +
The leaves should be a little further down the stem and look a little more
like leaves
http://www.trq.nl/school/herbarium.p...&TYPE=Nigella%
20damascena
+ + +

designed to attract the attention (and it does! What more do you want?).

Really? The branches attract attention? Well, my attention, but
any other attention? Like bud leaves attract insects to spread
pollen. Fruit attracts animals to carry away and spread seeds.

+ + +
Who is talking about branches?
It is not only your attention, but also that of all those gardeners and
other plant lovers ;-). A little wind will produce a quite noticeable effect
to insects (these are hard-wired to notice movement), and this adds to the
attention that the flower gets.
PvR