Old 02-08-2004, 03:41 AM
swim learning

Default White wildflower in northern NJ

Kindly identify the wildflower in these photos. The plant is common in
July in northern New Jersey.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sha...&.dnm=290e.jpg

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sha...&.dnm=2117.jpg

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sha...&.dnm=70e0.jpg

The photos are also accessible as plant 7 in the Spring Flowers album
at http://photos.yahoo.com/shahswim.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:43 AM
Cereus-validus

Shame on you for not knowing this very common plant.

If you pull a plant up, you will notice that the roots smell exactly the
same as a carrot.

That's because it's "Wild Carrot", Daucus carota, more popularly known in
this country as "Queen Ann's Lace".

Actually its not a native plant but it was introduced from Europe long ago.

om...

Old 02-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Iris Cohen

Kindly identify the wildflower in these photos. The plant is common in July
in northern New Jersey.

Queen Anne's lace, Daucus carota. It is the wild ancestor of the carrot. I
believe it is a native of Europe.
In the future, I suggest you look in a field guide to wild flowers first.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 02-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Mike Lyle

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message om...
Shame on you for not knowing this very common plant.

Oh, come on! That's no way to treat a willing learner who asks a clear
question and provides good photographic evidence. The carrot family
can be tricky for a beginner, even with a field guide in hand, and
people need confirmation along the way.

Mike.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Cereus-validus

Wake up, Mikey, and don't be such a gimp.

There are so many wild flower books out there that even a trained chimp
could easily identify such a common plant without trying very hard.

The very fact that the plant smells like a carrot would be a blatant clue to
its identity even to a blind man.

So your wussy excuses have absolutely no merit at all. Especially since you
made absolutely no effort in trying to identify the plant yourself.

om...

Old 02-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Chuck

My God you are so critical of others, especially when one considers many of
the "erudite" questions from you. Con boca cerrado no entran moscos.

Chuck

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
Wake up, Mikey, and don't be such a gimp.

There are so many wild flower books out there that even a trained chimp
could easily identify such a common plant without trying very hard.

The very fact that the plant smells like a carrot would be a blatant clue

its identity even to a blind man.

So your wussy excuses have absolutely no merit at all. Especially since

you
made absolutely no effort in trying to identify the plant yourself.

om...

Old 02-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Pete

Just this morning I was stuck on the ID of a plant in the carrot family,
and the closest I could find was Wild Carrot. But seeing the OP's photos, I
now have doubts. Mostly because of the very hairy stems.

So, what's this one...?

http://www.seanet.com/~pmar/jse_Wild Carrot 1.JPG

Pete
Old 02-08-2004, 11:41 PM
Mike Lyle

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message om...
Wake up, Mikey, and don't be such a gimp.

There are so many wild flower books out there that even a trained chimp
could easily identify such a common plant without trying very hard.

The very fact that the plant smells like a carrot would be a blatant clue to
its identity even to a blind man.

So your wussy excuses have absolutely no merit at all. Especially since you
made absolutely no effort in trying to identify the plant yourself.

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
"Cereus-validus" wrote in message

om...
Shame on you for not knowing this very common plant.

Oh, come on! That's no way to treat a willing learner who asks a clear
question and provides good photographic evidence. The carrot family
can be tricky for a beginner, even with a field guide in hand, and
people need confirmation along the way.

Mike.

Well, since you had identified the plant perfectly adequately, there
would have been no point in repeating the information.

Smell is only one clue, and it's not reliable on its own; I imagine
many blind people would agree. As I said, learners need confirmation
of their diagnoses.

You no doubt take the attitude which suits your purposes; but I'd like
to see more people joining this very slow group rather than being put
off by insults from total strangers.

Mike.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:33 AM
Cereus-validus

Yada, yada, yada.

Get back to us when you grow a brain.

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
"Cereus-validus" wrote in message

om...
Wake up, Mikey, and don't be such a gimp.

There are so many wild flower books out there that even a trained chimp
could easily identify such a common plant without trying very hard.

The very fact that the plant smells like a carrot would be a blatant

clue to
its identity even to a blind man.

So your wussy excuses have absolutely no merit at all. Especially since

you
made absolutely no effort in trying to identify the plant yourself.

om...

Old 03-08-2004, 03:40 AM
Cereus-validus

I have never asked any questions in this little newsgroup. Nobody here would
know the answers.

I have far better, more accurate sources of information, than to waste my
time using public opinion as a source.

I actually go to research libraries and look things up in the original
sources in books and periodicals. You should try it. You might learn
something.

If someone needs hand holding, they should take an intro to botany class.

"Chuck" wrote in message
ink.net...
My God you are so critical of others, especially when one considers many

of
the "erudite" questions from you. Con boca cerrado no entran moscos.

Chuck

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
Wake up, Mikey, and don't be such a gimp.

There are so many wild flower books out there that even a trained chimp
could easily identify such a common plant without trying very hard.

The very fact that the plant smells like a carrot would be a blatant

clue
its identity even to a blind man.

So your wussy excuses have absolutely no merit at all. Especially since

you
made absolutely no effort in trying to identify the plant yourself.

om...

Old 03-08-2004, 02:47 PM
swim learning

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message om...
Shame on you for not knowing this very common plant.

If you pull a plant up, you will notice that the roots smell exactly the
same as a carrot.

I am not a native of North America or Europe.

It seems this newsgroup is for serious academics rather than novices
and dabblers like me. Can you suggest another group where I can post
such questions?

I believe that some others may find the pictures of interest and
consider identifying other's photos as an interesting puzzle. I would
like to see such posts from others.

It is not obvious to me that I should smell a plant to identify it,
let alone pull out and check the roots. Nevertheless, I think it is a
good idea, and I may do this in the future. However, suppose the plant
is something like poison ivy? Also, most plant smells are not familiar
to me.

Can you recommend one or two basic books for identifying such plants?

Thank you.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:15 PM
Cereus-validus

There is no way anybody could confuse wild carrot with poison ivy. If you
have ever eaten salad, you would be familiar with the smell of carrots.

There are hundreds of wild flower books.
You can find at least one of them at your local library.

Try the gardening newsgroups.

Identifying plant pictures is much easier than trying to decipher vague
descriptions from newbies.

Old 03-08-2004, 04:07 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

swim learning schreef
I believe that some others may find the pictures of interest and

consider identifying other's photos as an interesting puzzle. I would
like to see such posts from others.

+ + +
On the whole it is nice to see pictures of plants on this newsgroup,
especially if the quality is good, so you can continue as you were.

There is nothing whatsoever that you can do that would not cause cereoid to
make ugly comments, except possibly fall on your knees and worship him as
the genius he thinks he is (he probably would be bored even by that soon
enough).
PvR

Old 03-08-2004, 07:01 PM
M. Tiefert

On 3 Aug 2004 06:47:44 -0700, swim learning wrote:

I am not a native of North America or Europe.

I know how that feels - when I lived abroad for a while, I didn't feel
like I _really_ knew what a plant was unless I learned its name in English
(or Latin).

It seems this newsgroup is for serious academics rather than novices
and dabblers like me.

Nah, it's a public group - if it were private, they probably wouldn't
allow a certain person to post. Some people have fun encouraging him to
show off his unbelievable sense of 'humor'. But I've come to question
whether that may perhaps be rather unkind, in a way.

Can you suggest another group where I can post
such questions?

There are several gardening groups, but no other botany groups that I know
of on Usenet. You might try searching Yahoo groups or searching for
gardening websites that have a forum.

It is not obvious to me that I should smell a plant to identify it,
let alone pull out and check the roots. Nevertheless, I think it is a

But if it turns out to be a 'rare' or 'endangered' plant, it may be
illegal to pull it up in the US.

good idea, and I may do this in the future. However, suppose the plant
is something like poison ivy?

If it is the very first time you've been in contact with poison ivy, it
_might_ not affect you, as the reaction involves the immune system. But if
you don't know what it looks like, you may have already had some contact
with it, so it wouldn't be the very first time.

Can you recommend one or two basic books for identifying such plants?

If you go to a Barnes & Noble or similar bookstore in your area, they
should have a "local interest" section (or something similar). If not, try
the science section. Page through the wildflower field guides to see which
one looks likely to suit you best. For example, some are organized by type
of plant, others by flower color. Nearby state parks or nature preserves
may also have information and/or bookshops.

cheers,

Marj
--
Mediterranean Garden Advice and Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden/
Also: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/...gardening.html
Old 03-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Cmgreenlnd

If you live in northern New Jersey, I'd suggest making use of the library at
Rutgers (New Brunswick) or Ramopo State College. New York Botanical Garden has
plant identification clinics, or could recommend someone who might assist.
Their mission is education of all levels of botanical experience.

Check with the Torrey Botanical Club for additional information

http://www.torreybotanical.org/

There are several illustrated keys, as well as academic books like Gleason and
Cronquist Manual of Vascular Plants of Northeastern United States and adjacent
Canada. van Nostrand 1963, and successive volumes of M. L. Fernald's revisions
of Gray's Manual of Botany. The illustrations in Gray's Manual are line
drawings that I found quite useful when I was just starting out.