Old 13-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default Trees and Me

In article , Iris Cohen
writes
I had to admit to Stewart that I'm even worse than he thought. Whenever I meet
a new kind of tree, my first reaction is, is it good for bonsai? It's
incurable. I keep wondering about Ptericeltis, with that peeling bark.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

But is wasn't me that made aspersions about you. It was someone posting
under the handle Scott Ranger. I didn't think his post made sense.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-08-2004, 03:18 AM
Peter Jason

Default sci.bio.botany is getting nasty

You are one sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick
sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick
sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick
sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick
sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick
sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick
sick sick sick
sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick PUPPY, Cerberus.

..

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
You better hurry up and take your Valium before somebody who doesn't know
you are a jerk hurts you.

"Peter Jason" wrote in message
Tsk! Forgot our Valium did we?

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
There is no value to advice from a rutting troll like you that has a

cranial
cavity chock full of fecal matter. If it wasn't for your intimacy with
manure, you would have no connection with plants at all, Peter Jacker.

"Peter Jason" wrote in message
I think he means you should pass the potty-training exam before

wading
into
botany.
chortl

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
Now another hateful troll crawls out from the shadows to spread

his
spew.
If
you have nothing better to do than make false accusations, why

don't
you
just stay in the shadows instead of showing everyone what a

clueless
Canucklehead you are, you frog coward, by your fantasizing lame

"straw
man"
arguments.

If you think anyone who does not agree with you is mentally ill,

you
sure
are living on the wrong planet or else the aberrant one is really

you,
wannabe Queen Bee!

wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
Iris Cohen wrote:
Surely Iris must be offended by your misogynistic remarks.

Maybe
you
can get
away with that stuff in the Netherlands, but in Israel, they

could
have
you
arrested and shot for the nasty sexist and Anti-Semitic things

you
say.

Will somebody please tell me what is going on? Why am I

supposed
be
ignored?

Dunno where "cereoid" gets this particular baseless accusation,

Iris,
but the only misogynistic comments I've seen on this group have

been
from him. You may have noticed in his tantrums he looks for
particular
slurs to cast at his critics, childishly ridiculing their names,
nationalities, proficiency in idiomatic English in those for

whom
it's
not a first language, etc. Since I have what looks to Americans

like
female first name, he's made derogatory remarks about women when
"putting me in my place" in hopes of getting me to feel inferior

him
by virtue of his Y chromosome. Pretty silly, eh?

The only thing I can figure is that you have a female given

name,
and
Jewish family name, so he thinks that anything critical of you

or
your
postings is ipso facto misogynistic and anti-Semitic. Thus he

thinks
calling you a gardener because you wanted to know if plants in a
particular taxon have a "use" is anti-Semitic and misogynistic

as
well
as somehow derogatory. Bizarre.

I suppose claiming that someone could be arrested and shot for

making
sexist and/or anti-Semitic comments in Israel could be regarded

as
an
anti-Semitic statement, but you'd have to be pretty touchy to

construe
it that way, considering the context.

If you don't like my humor, it should definitely be ignored.

The
only
thing
I've gotten from Pieter lately is information on hackberries.

Your humour is okay with me, FWIW. And I don't think a query

about
the
ethnobotany of an unfamiliar taxon is out of line here either.

It
doesn't brand you a teleologist or a shudder *mere gardener*!

I generally ignore "cereoid" because almost all his postings,
especially
recently, have been devoid of interest. He does occasionally

show
some
botanical knowledge, so I haven't put him in my kill file.

There's
no
point getting into exchanges with him, since they only encourage

his
unmannerly behaviour. Also, I suspect he has a personality

disorder,
and it's unkind to harass the mentally ill for their illness.

Old 14-08-2004, 06:30 AM
Cereus-validus

What's the matter Peterporker? Did you lose your thesaurus?

That stuttering reply of yours means a lot coming from a troll like you so
full of pomposity, hubris and pretentiousness but not a single bit of any
proof of any botanical knowledge. You arrogance is nothing more than a lame
attempt to cover up your ignorance.

.

[...]

wrote in message
. ..

Old 14-08-2004, 06:46 AM
Mike Best

Why do you all keep answering the stupid little fellow.

His downfall was when he linked "Cereus-validus" with "sci.bio.botany"
thus creating a persona that is "Base, cretinous, viciously bad".

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:22:17 +0200, "P van Rijckevorsel"
wrote:

Iris Cohen schreef
Will somebody please tell me what is going on? Why am I supposed to be

ignored? If you don't like my humor, it should definitely be ignored. The
only thing I've gotten from Pieter lately is information on hackberries.

* * *
Nothing is going on, except that Cereoid is boring even himself and
therefore switched to a mental state (perhaps induced by certain
substances?) where even the regulars don't follow what he is alluding to.
PvR

Old 14-08-2004, 10:10 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Iris Cohen schreef in
I had to admit to Scott that I'm even worse than he thought. Whenever I

meet a new kind of tree, my first reaction is, is it good for bonsai? It's
incurable. I keep wondering about Ptericeltis, with that peeling bark.

+ + +
I am surprised you find anything for Ptericeltis, but Pteroceltis ("ptero-"
indicating "winged") gives plenty of hits. Apparently it is the source for
Xuan paper (commonly called "rice paper"), a high quality paper that is the
preferred paper for calligraphy.
PvR

Old 15-08-2004, 01:22 AM
Peter Jason

If I know any botany it didn't come from you. You are the RUDEST troll that
ever crawled on his belly out of the weed patch, to affright and bite the
world. I know mummy won't let you out of the play-pen just yet, but wait
another 5 years 'til youv'e learned a few manners.

Attaboy............

[...]

wrote in message
. ..

Old 15-08-2004, 02:08 AM
IntarsiaCo

'til youv'e learned a few manners.

Won't happen with the salacious rooster of a little man. Most learn to ignore
the twit and pity his relatives. Some people pray for genetic cleansing.

Old 15-08-2004, 03:31 AM
Cereus-validus

You are truly deficient, you deranged Michael Jackson wannabe. At least you
admit you don't know any botany and you are only here because nobody else
wants you.

[...]

wrote in message
. ..

Old 16-08-2004, 03:10 AM
Peter Jason

Old Cereus-invalidus has his knickerii in a twistum. Why not go back home
for a good rest, to:
alt.troll.ineffectual.
sci.botanist.neverwas
alt.troll.butt-ugly.
alt.what-did-your-daddy-dooooooooo

Have a bad day!

[...]

"Cereus-validus" wrote in

message
[...]

wrote in message
. ..
In article

,

Old 16-08-2004, 03:59 AM
Iris Cohen

To change the subject completely, I don't remember if I asked (if so I
apologize for the redundancy), but is Juniperus sabina 'Broadmoor' a male or
female clone?
Old 16-08-2004, 08:47 AM
Peter Jason

If it is a clone then it takes its sex from the parent.
But isn't "Juniperus sabina" female gender?

Old 16-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Iris Cohen

If it is a clone then it takes its sex from the parent.

I know, but that doesn't answer my question.

But isn't "Juniperus sabina" female gender?

Are you trying to be funny? A normal dioecious species, like a juniper, in the
wild, would have both male and female specimens. It has nothing whatever to do
with grammatical gender. Actually, unless it is irregular, Juniperus has a
masculine ending.
Old 16-08-2004, 03:40 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Iris Cohen schreef
Actually, unless it is irregular, Juniperus has a masculine ending.

+ + +
You can tell Juniperus is feminine (grammatically) by such epithets as
"sabina" and "virginiana". Similarly Cedrus, Fagus, Quercus, Rhamnus, etc
are feminine also. This is quite regular since they are all trees. In the
classical languages trees are feminine by default, as are islands.
PvR

PS. Dirr claims Broadmoor is staminate

Old 17-08-2004, 04:20 AM
Iris Cohen

You can tell Juniperus is feminine (grammatically) by such epithets as
"sabina" and "virginiana".
In the classical languages trees are feminine by default,

Thanks for the clarification. I'm still a gardener (shudder!). Having a copy of
Stearns doesn't make me an expert.

Dirr claims Broadmoor is staminate

I know he does. Is he infallible like the Pope? He also says it is green. These
are bluish, which is how the clone is described on the Web. And they have
berries,