Old 08-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Shaji

Default Insulin Plant

Dear Friends,

A plant called Costus igneus / Costus Pictus believed to have
healing power of Diabetes Mellitus. Could any one tell me more details
about this?

Thank in advance,

Shaji
Old 08-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Iris Cohen

A plant called Costus igneus / Costus Pictus believed to have healing
power of Diabetes Mellitus. Could any one tell me more details about this?

If you do a Google search on Costus and Diabetes, you will find numerous
references. Apparently, extracts of some Costus species tend to lower blood
sugar and perhaps reduce a craving for sweets. This might be useful for
Diabetes type II. However, there is no cure for Diabetes, especially Type I,
and there is no substitute for insulin, which is an animal product or
synthetic, and cannot be ingested orally.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 08-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Cereus-validus

Apparently ingesting the juice from Opuntia pads and cinnamon can also lower
blood sugar but as you say none of these are a substitute for insulin.

A google search will reveal more info.

Old 13-05-2005, 08:03 AM
Registered User

[quote=Iris Cohen] A plant called Costus igneus / Costus Pictus believed to have healing
power of Diabetes Mellitus.
Dear freinds,
Costus igneus is wonder herb,it realy helpful for diabetic patients,
it reduces the blood sugar level in the body.
its my personel experience.
thank u

[quote]
Old 30-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Registered User

Smile

Yes, there is a tea derived from the Insulin Plant. It is called InsulinTea and I have been taking the tea very successfully. You may find it at www.insulintea.com. The website has a lot of information on the herbs and scientific studies. Hope this information is helpfull.

[quote=hrbsteve][quote=Iris Cohen] A plant called Costus igneus / Costus Pictus believed to have healing

Old 04-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Registered User

Smile

[quote=Rbtll;643875]Yes, there is a tea derived from the Insulin Plant. It is called InsulinTea and I have been taking the tea very successfully. You may find it at www.insulintea.com. The website has a lot of information on the herbs and scientific studies. Hope this information is helpfull.

[quote=hrbsteve]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris Cohen
A plant called Costus igneus / Costus Pictus believed to have healing
power of Diabetes Mellitus.
Dear freinds,
Costus igneus is wonder herb,it realy helpful for diabetic patients,
it reduces the blood sugar level in the body.
its my personel experience.
thank u
Hi! I want to know how big an insulin plant grows, how long it lives and how we can market the plant products commercially. I am a diabetic who wants to use the plant leaves personally and share the benefits of this plant with others. Can some one help with details of cultivation of insulin plants in India?
devadoss.
Old 14-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by devadoss View Post
Hi! I want to know how big an insulin plant grows, how long it lives and how we can market the plant products commercially. I am a diabetic who wants to use the plant leaves personally and share the benefits of this plant with others. Can some one help with details of cultivation of insulin plants in India?
devadoss.
The name Costus igneus is now obsolete although sometimes still used in the trade. The new name is Chamaecostus cuspidatus and it makes a very good potted conservatory plant as the stems only grow to 60cm and it readily flowers if kept above 10C.
Attached Thumbnails
Insulin Plant-costus-cuspidatus-1.jpg