Old 17-08-2004, 01:18 AM
Davisons Trull

Default Plant memory

Hi botanists,

Total n00b, in no way a botanist, just wondering on plant weirdness. Well,
weird to me!

Heres the story...

A year ago my mum gave me a plant. Its a family thing, been handed down
through the generations - we all have one. It was quite a chunky chap when
he was given to me. Big, thick stem, sprouting out into other very healthy
looking stems, each with big, green bulbous leaves. Sorry, none of us know
what it is Anyway, after four weeks it just started falling to pieces.
Woah! I thought. Can't lose plant!! I had a quick chat with my mum and she
said it was odd, but even from a leaf they can just grow back, so I
shouldn't worry. Fair enough, I thought. So, every bit that fell off I
re-potted and for each pot I tried different tactics, you know, to try and
figure out what I did to kill it the first time. All the little pieces
survived, but the main plan died.

Ok. Now I have 5 plants. I I want to know where I went wrong, so I give them
all slightly different conditions:

1. Small pot, soil, little water, in the shade
2. Medium pot, soil, medium water, indirect sunlight.
3. Small pot, only water, direct sunlight.
4. Large pot, soil, lots of water, direct sunlight, baby bio.
5. Large pot, soil, see how he survives outside

A year later, they are all still alive!

From this, I could only guess that when the main stem plant fell to pieces
it was simply reproducing. I mean, after all, there are 5 of them now and
try as I might to get the main stem to grow it steadfast refused.

Anyway, thats not the freaky part. Why did I put "plant memory" in the
subject? Well. Remember plant no. 5? He didn't do too well outside. In
fact, I totally forgot he was out there until about a month later. He'd
fallen over in the wind, soil spilt everywhere and barely a leaf left. I
picked him up, fixed the soil and brought him back with the others.

Over the next few months he made a great recovery. His stem grew stronger
than the others, and took on a darker sort of "woody" style. I figured he
was a tough nut now.

So, I come back today and.... he was growing sideways. Yes, thats right. He
was upright yesterday, and today he has bent his stem 90 degrees. Its like
he "remembered" that he fell over this time last year, and so decided to
fall over again! Probably in preparation for "the big knock".

Obviously the 4 other plants are still growing upright.

Is this "normal" plant behavior? Will I have to train "junior" to stand up
straight, or will he "fall over" again this time next year?

Old 17-08-2004, 03:22 AM
Cereus-validus

Have you found out the scientific name of the plant yet?

Only if we know what it is can we have a good idea of how to expect the
plant would grow.

It may be some sort of succulent.

"Davisons Trull" wrote in message
[...]

From this, I could only guess that when the main stem plant fell to pieces

Old 17-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Davisons Trull

Cereus-validus wrote:

[...]

From this, I could only guess that when the main stem plant fell to
pieces it was simply reproducing. I mean, after all, there are 5 of them
[...]

I have indeed. After a bit of searhcing I discovered he is a crassula
argentea.

Old 18-08-2004, 05:10 AM
Cereus-validus

Crassula argentea is correctly named Crassula ovata and is commonly know as
the "Jade Plant", even though the plant is native to South Africa not China
or Japan.

It is best grown in a sunny location (outdoors in the shade during the
summer is not a problem) in a soil mix predominantly made of drainage
material (coarse builders sand, aquarium gravel, silica sand, turfoos). The
plant should be watered thoroughly about once a week and allowed to go
completely dry between waterings. Never let the plants sit in standing water
for any length of time. Fertilize with a foliage house plant fertilizer
diluted to quarter strength.

The plant is not cold hardy so you must bring it indoors before it becomes
cold and keep it in a south facing window until the last frost warning is
over in spring.)

If a plant becomes top heavy and droops, stake it upright and hold back on
watering. It might even need to be moved into a larger pot.

Cereus-validus wrote:

[...]

From this, I could only guess that when the main stem plant fell to

Old 18-08-2004, 10:20 AM
IntarsiaCo

turfoos
Should be:
Turface

Old 18-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Cereus-validus

The question was already answered, meathead.

The plant was top heavy and needed to be staked.

Everything else was irrelevant.

"Mike Martin" wrote in message
[...]

From this, I could only guess that when the main stem plant fell to

pieces

Old 18-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Cereus-validus

You will find several different spellings in the trade.

"IntarsiaCo" wrote in message
turfoos

Should be:
Turface

Old 18-08-2004, 06:24 PM
IntarsiaCo

You will find several different spellings in the trade.

Balderdash. It's turface. You stand corrected.

www.turface.com
Old 18-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Mike Martin

Everything else was interesting. Let the spirit of botanical science
thrive, let's discuss his questions.

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
[...]

From this, I could only guess that when the main stem plant fell to

pieces

Old 18-08-2004, 10:37 PM
Cereus-validus

Spirit of Botanical Science?

You have a very Dickensian view of the world, M&M.

Some of his conclusions from his observations were based on misconceptions
and not as interesting as you may want to believe. You may be hoping for
something that does not exist.

[...]

From this, I could only guess that when the main stem plant fell to

Old 18-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Cereus-validus

Who give a flying fig over brand names, Intracile?

Get over yourself and get a life.

Why not just call it calcined clay kitty litter?

Old 18-08-2004, 11:10 PM
Chuck

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
Spirit of Botanical Science?

You have a very Dickensian view of the world, M&M.

And after due observation, you don't have much real knowledge about The
Botanical Sciences. So Others can discuss and you, as usual, can continue
making your inane comments.

CWR

[...]

From this, I could only guess that when the main stem plant fell

Old 19-08-2004, 03:59 AM
Cereus-validus

"The Botanical Sciences"?

What is that supposed to be, UpChuck, some sort of new age religion?

The science is called botany. Its the study of plants, plain and simple.

You have never shown even the slightest whit of understanding of basic
botany in any of your postings, you pompous dweeb.

Today, I spent the morning identifying plants and how to properly grow them
in a local conservatory.

I doubt you even know shit from shinola.

You are about as knowledgeable and as dangerous as the arses in the
following links.

http://www.internetweekly.org/images/bush_shinola.jpg

http://www.internetweekly.org/images...al_shinola.jpg

http://www.freshwidow.com/bradscomix...t_shinola1.jpg

"Chuck" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

From this, I could only guess that when the main stem plant fell

Old 19-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Chuck

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
"The Botanical Sciences"?

What is that supposed to be, UpChuck, some sort of new age religion?

The science is called botany. Its the study of plants, plain and simple.

You have never shown even the slightest whit of understanding of basic
botany in any of your postings, you pompous dweeb.

Today, I spent the morning identifying plants and how to properly grow

them
in a local conservatory.

I doubt you even know shit from shinola.

You are about as knowledgeable and as dangerous as the arses in the
following links.

PhD and 40 years experience say different. And I know phony when I observe
one and you are a perfect example. Again, your name calling does nothing
except verify my conclusion.

CWR.

http://www.internetweekly.org/images/bush_shinola.jpg

http://www.internetweekly.org/images...al_shinola.jpg

http://www.freshwidow.com/bradscomix...t_shinola1.jpg

"Chuck" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

From this, I could only guess that when the main stem plant

fell
[...]

FS: Contoured Therapeutic Memory Foam Pillow - via auction [email protected] Texas 0 18-03-2005 12:36 AM
memory Jog fuerjefe Ponds 8 15-02-2004 02:37 AM
looking for Fragrant Memory Tom Sherwood Roses 1 24-12-2003 04:44 PM
A memory of spring, and a time to rejoice for just being here madgard Gardening 2 10-03-2003 10:32 PM
Sommat I've Seen - Memory help needed Alison United Kingdom 3 04-03-2003 05:17 PM