Old 21-08-2004, 07:24 AM
Curious

Default Sandalwood Poisonous?

Is sandalwood poisonous if eaten?
Old 21-08-2004, 09:31 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Curious schreef
Is sandalwood poisonous if eaten?

* * *
I can't really say and I doubt if anybody could.
However, on the whole poisonous woods are ususally most dangerous if the
poison is extracted first or if the wood is divided into very small
particles (by sanding and such) and can be breathed in. On the whole wood
itself is not digested, meaning that the stuff in the wood stays in. However
IIRC there are a few woods that are poisonous to the touch (when fresh), and
quite a few more that cause allergic reactions (susceptibility varies).

I would expect sandalwood not to be poisonous when eaten, but strongly
suggest you don't try to test this (it costs like crazy too).
PvR

Old 21-08-2004, 10:32 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Curious schreef
Is sandalwood poisonous if eaten?

* * *
Another aspect is poisonous to whom?
Things harmless to humans can be poisonous to pets. Apparently chocolate can
be lethal to dogs, and avocado fruits to birds. Woods guaranteed to be
non-poisonous when ingested are a fairly hot topic for bird owners, wanting
to put sticks, roosts, etc in with their bird.

A few woods are known to be poisonous when ingested (black walnut to horses
is often mentioned, as is yew to apparently everybody).
PvR.

Old 21-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Gautam Majumdar

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 06:24:18 +0100, Curious wrote:

Is sandalwood poisonous if eaten?

Can't say about sandalwood as a whole but sandalwood oil is not poisonous
to humans. It is used in various medicinal preparations of the Ayurvedic
(ancient Indian) system.

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to
Old 21-08-2004, 03:27 PM
Phred

In article ,
Gautam Majumdar wrote:
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 06:24:18 +0100, Curious wrote:

Is sandalwood poisonous if eaten?

Can't say about sandalwood as a whole but sandalwood oil is not poisonous
to humans. It is used in various medicinal preparations of the Ayurvedic
(ancient Indian) system.

Geez mate, that hardly proves it's not poisonous!

In fact, many lethal compounds are used in medicine for the very
reason that they are extremely biologically active. I hardly need
mention they need to be used with precision and caution.

Mind you, it's possible that sandalwood oil is relatively safe.
Indeed there is some data on the Australian product from _Santalum
spicatum_ that has found no serious problems:
http://www.aromarich.btinternet.co.uk/sandalwood2.html

But, mind you again, that page is from an aromatherapy site, so
perhaps should itself be taken with a grain of salt. ;-) E.g. see:
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~no...********books7.
htm

At http://www.wrc.net/phyto/Chandana.html there is an indication of
possible toxic effects from _S. album_ oil:
quoting
Toxicity: Possible cytochrome p-450 inducement in high doses long term
(Jones et al 1994). Essential oil reported to have a "baneful effect
upon the kidneys" in larger doses (Nadkarni 1976, 1102).
/quoting

The references are given on that page -- and it might be noted that
the article by Jones et al. actually referred to quandong (_Santalum
acuminatum_).

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 21-08-2004, 03:36 PM

In article ,
Gautam Majumdar wrote:
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 06:24:18 +0100, Curious wrote:

Is sandalwood poisonous if eaten?

Can't say about sandalwood as a whole but sandalwood oil is not poisonous
to humans. It is used in various medicinal preparations of the Ayurvedic
(ancient Indian) system.

As with almost anything, the dose makes the poison.

A few minutes with google reveals that for the oil of Santalum album
the oral LD50 in rats is 5580 mg/kg and the skin LD50 is 5.00 g/kg. I
don't know why they don't standardize the units, but as far as acute
toxicity you'd have to drink a cup or two to poison yourself to death
with it, and you'd probably die of intestinal impaction before you
could eat enough sandalwood sawdust to kill you.

That said, unsurprisingly the oil is an irritant to
skin, eyes and mucous membranes, and people can develop an allergic
reaction to it. More interesting is that it's believed to have some
kidney toxicity, and has been established to induce cytochrome P-450 in
the liver and also act as a cyclooxygenase inhibitor. This means that
it can potentiate, antagonize or interfere with a lot of different
prescription drugs and as a diuretic may cause hypokalemia especially
in conjunction with other drugs.

The US FDA rates it as GRAS (generally recognized as safe) as a food,
drug or cosmetic additive. GRAS mainly means that it's been in use for
a long time as such without any evident harm caused by it, although it
hasn't been formally tested for safety. It appears that no research
has been done on long-term issues like mutagenicity, carcinogenicity or
teratogenicity, or effects of prolonged high dosages on any organs or
systems. There is some research indicating anti-fungal and
anti-bacterial action, unsurprising since that's probably its function
in the plant.

What little science I can find was mostly done with S.album, but there
are a lot of other species used. It's been overharvested in India, so
a lot of sandalwood and sandalwood oil now comes from S.spicatum in
Australia, and from other species elsewhere. Essential oils (mainly
terpenes) have a wide range of medicinal and toxic effects, and may
vary quite a lot between species.

Since there's no authority to guarantee purity, sandalwood oil is often
adulterated with other materials, notably castor oil, and other woods
treated with sandalwood oil are sold as sandalwood.

At any rate, used sensibly neither the wood nor the oil are likely to
harm you, but don't get carried away. Even the innumerable web sites
that sell the stuff for its vaguely medical and magical properties have
enough sense to recommend caution, even if they can't agree whether its
"ruling planet" is the moon or Uranus.

While sorting through the swamp of entrepreneurial new age sites google
turned up, I ran into a paper describing some research testing 53
different essential oils for their insecticidal effect on a
particularly troublesome species of white fly in greenhouses in Korea.
About half the oils tested had an 80% or better kill rate on eggs, and
some had good effect against adults. One of the best was peppermint
oil. This is encouraging since some of these greenhouse species have
developed resistance against most chemical insecticides, and white fly
is a big problem on edible crops like greenhouse tomatoes where
limiting pesticide residues is very important.

Of course, any discussion of herbal remedies these days has to have
personal anecdotes to prove a point. I've been using a rather nice
sandalwood scented soap from China for many years and I'm not dead
yet. It's denser than the North American soaps because it doesn't have
air whipped into it to make it float, so it doesn't dissolve away as
fast in the shower. It's cheap, too. I like the scent a lot. But my
husband finds that it aggravates a chronic skin condition he has, so he
uses Ivory now. There's no telling if it's the sandalwood or another
ingredient at fault, however. Or maybe there's an astrological
incompatibility, right?
Old 22-08-2004, 09:43 AM
Gautam Majumdar

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:27:22 +0100, Phred wrote:

In article , Gautam
Majumdar wrote:
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 06:24:18 +0100, Curious wrote:

Is sandalwood poisonous if eaten?

Can't say about sandalwood as a whole but sandalwood oil is not
poisonous to humans. It is used in various medicinal preparations of the
Ayurvedic (ancient Indian) system.

Geez mate, that hardly proves it's not poisonous!

In fact, many lethal compounds are used in medicine for the very reason
that they are extremely biologically active. I hardly need mention they
need to be used with precision and caution.

I agree; whether something is harmful to use depends mainly on the dose.
Some of our cherished food supplements, even essential neutrients such as
Vitamin A, could cause harm and even death if taken in large doses. But we
don't call them poisonous because they are not harmful when used in
intended ways.

Mind you, it's possible that sandalwood oil is relatively safe. Indeed
there is some data on the Australian product from _Santalum spicatum_
that has found no serious problems:
http://www.aromarich.btinternet.co.uk/sandalwood2.html

Sandalwood oil is used by many people in the Indian subcontinent for skin
conditions, both for medicinal and cosmetic purposes. It is not used
internally excepting in minute quantities in some Ayurvedic medicine.

When I said that it is not poisonous, I meant these uses. It may not be
safe if somebody drinks a litre of it.

Old 22-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Phred

Majumdar wrote:
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 06:24:18 +0100, Curious wrote:

Is sandalwood poisonous if eaten?

Can't say about sandalwood as a whole but sandalwood oil is not
poisonous to humans. It is used in various medicinal preparations of the
Ayurvedic (ancient Indian) system.

Geez mate, that hardly proves it's not poisonous!

In fact, many lethal compounds are used in medicine for the very reason
that they are extremely biologically active. I hardly need mention they
need to be used with precision and caution.

I agree; whether something is harmful to use depends mainly on the dose.
Some of our cherished food supplements, even essential neutrients such as
Vitamin A, could cause harm and even death if taken in large doses. But we
don't call them poisonous because they are not harmful when used in
intended ways.

G'day again mate,

Somewhat off-topic in s.b.botany but your mention of Vitamin A
reminded me of the likely cause of disaster in one of the early
Antarctic expeditions. They were pretty much starving and started
eating the dogs. This included the liver, so it's reasonably
suspected at least one poor bloke finally died of Vitamin A poisoning!

quoting from http://www.aad.gov.au/default.asp?casid=7043
Mawson himself led the 'Far Eastern' sledging expedition with Belgrave
Ninnis, a Swiss doctor, and Xavier Mertz, an English army lieutenant.
The expedition was five weeks old and 500 km out when disaster struck:
Ninnis, with one of the two sleds and most of the party's supplies,
was lost down an immense crevasse. Mertz was to die on the return
journey, possibly from Vitamin A poisoning from eating the livers of
husky dogs. But Mawson survived after an epic solo journey during
which he had to haul himself on the end of a rope out of a deep
crevasse. It was one of the great polar stories of survival.
/quoting

Old 26-08-2004, 05:42 AM
Curious

Gautam Majumdar wrote in message .uk...
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 06:24:18 +0100, Curious wrote:

Is sandalwood poisonous if eaten?

Can't say about sandalwood as a whole but sandalwood oil is not poisonous
to humans. It is used in various medicinal preparations of the Ayurvedic
(ancient Indian) system.

I was thinking of making a thin watery drink with the following whole
ingredients [raw, natural, organic, un-processed, solid, all products
whole and not juiced] with my VitaMix blender:

1. Sandalwood
2. Licorice
3. Betal Leaf [Paan]
4. Mints [peppermint, spearmint, wintergreen, etc.]
5. Garlic
6. Cinnamon
7. Ginger
8. Tamarind
9. Anice
10. Parsley
11. Holy Basil [Tulsi]
12. Scallions
13. Lime
14. Lemon
15. Mustard Leaves
16. Lavender
17. Rose petals
18. Parrot Tulip petals
19. Turmeric

The flavors/aromas should be equally strong. This means that less
amounts of the stronger-flavored/stronger-aroma plants should be used.
Another thing in consideration is the causticity -- paan, ginger and
some of the others have caustic qualities. The higher the causticity
of the plant the less of it should be added.

I might add some other plants!

Old 26-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Christopher Green

Monique Reed wrote in message ...
Why?

M. Reed

Because it's a drinkable Dagwood sandwich?

--
Also puzzled,

Chris Green
Old 28-08-2004, 04:54 AM
Curious

Monique Reed wrote in message ...

Why?

I like the clean feeling it would give. I would this to be my meals. A
meal's amount for breakfast, a meal's amount for lunch, and a meal's
amount for dinner.
Old 28-08-2004, 09:50 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Curious schreef
I like the clean feeling it would give. I would this to be my meals. A
meal's amount for breakfast, a meal's amount for lunch, and a meal's
amount for dinner.

* * *
A religious ritual?
PvR

Old 28-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Iris Cohen

With that concoction, I doubt if you would feel clean. You would more likely
feel pretty sick. Better talk to your doctor.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 30-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Monique Reed

You want this to be your only source of nourishment? I think perhaps
you might want to consult a nutritionist. You will will be deficient
in protein and probably other essential parts of a balanced diet.

M. Reed

Curious wrote:

Monique Reed wrote in message ...

Why?

I like the clean feeling it would give. I would this to be my meals. A
meal's amount for breakfast, a meal's amount for lunch, and a meal's
amount for dinner.

--
˙WPC5