Old 04-09-2004, 08:56 PM
> > > Alan

Default please help ID two plants

Can anyone please help me identify these two plants.They grow in the Los
Angeles area.One is a horsetail of some kind and I haven't a clue what the
other is.
Thank you for your help.

Alan

flywalk(at)eircom(dot)net

http://homepage.eircom.net/~flywalk/...0Horsetail.jpg

http://homepage.eircom.net/~flywalk/unknown%20plant.jpg

Old 05-09-2004, 03:07 AM
Iris Cohen

They grow in the Los Angeles area.

I'm not so sure the first one is a horsetail. It looks more like a rush. Look
up the genus Scirpus.

The second one is easy. It is Meyer's asparagus fern, a form of Asparagus
densiflorus. It is a relative of the edible asparagus and the florist's
asparagus fern, not a fern at all.
Have fun.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 05-09-2004, 11:33 AM
> > > Alan

Thank you for your help.I appreciate it.I thought it was a horsetail, I'm
not sure why, but I'll try looking up Scirpus.
Thanks again,
Alan

Old 05-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Iris Cohen

I thought it was a horsetail, I'm not sure why

Horsetails, Equisetum, are primitive plants related to ferns. Scirpus, the
bulrushes, are in the sedge family. A careful examination should reveal some
clues. A field guide might be some help.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:11 AM
mel turner

"Alan" wrote in message
Thank you for your help.I appreciate it.I thought it was a horsetail, I'm
not sure why, but I'll try looking up Scirpus.
Thanks again,
Alan

It clearly is an Equisetum. I can see numerous distinct nodes along
the stems in your picture [lacking in Scirpus].

It's likely to be Equisetum hyemale; it's a commonly grown one
with unbranched stems as in your photo.

http://members.eunet.at/m.matus/
http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/imaxxequ.htm
http://www.floridata.com/ref/e/equi_hye.cfm

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
They grow in the Los Angeles area.

I'm not so sure the first one is a horsetail. It looks more like a rush.

Look
up the genus Scirpus.

[snip]

cheers

Old 06-09-2004, 08:08 PM
> > > Alan

I have had a quick look at the links below and I reckon that the plant is
Equisetum hyemale. Thanks a million guys. You have been a great help to
me.There is no way I could have found out the plant names with out your help
(at least not with out a LOT of searching).
Thanks again,
Alan.