Old 24-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Iris Cohen

Chaparral and maqui are something different from pygmy or elfin forests or
krummholz. (In California, what people think of as chaparral is formally
"coastal sage scrub".) It supports oaks and other trees of considerable size.
But the flora characteristic of these regions consists mainly of species that
do not naturally have the habit of trees, not of tree species dwarfed by
environmental conditions.

Thanks for the clarification. Exactly what is krummholz & where would I find
one?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 25-09-2004, 04:17 AM
Peter Jason

Curious. Just today I asked this question of a snot-nosed, unwashed,
dishevelled, smelly piece of street trash leaning agaist a post, and golly
gosh! I received a lecture on quantum mechanics (including the
Schrodinger's cat example) together with the applications to chemical bonds
and Reimann geometry and the solution thereto! Clearly Cereus Invalidus
Trollus Semper Est sure aint very street smart.

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
That only goes to prove that using hits on the internet as a source for
statistical data is INSANE.

That's almost as bad as asking people on the street advice on quantum
mechanics.

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
David Hershey schreef
Welwitschia is often referred to as a tree or dwarf tree, which seems
reasonable.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...a+tree&spell=1

********
A tenuous line of reasoning!
Welwitschia (only) gives 14200 hits
Welwitschia plant gives 4270 hits
Welwitschia tree gives 3110 hits
Welwitschia car gives 2640 hits
"Welwitschia plant" gives 322 hits
"Welwitschia tree" gives 4 hits

Going by number of hits and by this line of reasoning the idea that
Welwitschia is a car is almost as likely as the idea that it is a tree.

You might as well say that as 4/322 = 0.0124 that the idea that

Welwitschia
is a tree has a presence well below the 5% border and is

statististically
not significant.

Actually the first listed hit for Welwitschia
http://www.namibweb.com/welwitschia.htm
has it pretty much right:
" The plant resembles a woody carrot. "

PvR

Old 25-09-2004, 04:48 AM
Cereus-validus

The definition of a tree for Peter is something he usually wakes up under
after one of his all night benders!!!

So you say you are still getting acid flashbacks from the 60's? You really
are one hard core dead head!!!

You sure that wasn't actually Fat Freddie's cat you were getting that
lecture on while you were toking on that herbal bong?

(Too bad none of the European curmudgeons won't understand one word of this
posting. They might have been too busy goose-stepping to the oldies at the
time.)

Old 25-09-2004, 08:12 AM
Peter Jason

It appears our little Troll-in-training has respect neither for his elders
nor his betters!

This trite little motor-mouth is so busy talking that there is no time for
listening.

Tsk! Tsk!

In his wanton youth the rod was spared, and the child spoiled. O the pity
of it...!!!

A few goods whacks applied with resolve would cure him pronto.

In the meantime I'll cure one of his too-numerous-to-mention neuroses: Vis:

A tree is a plant one can climb.

Now, wasn't that EASY...!!!

Shutup, listen and learn Cereus Serious Trollum Magnus est.

om...

Old 25-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Iris Cohen

" The plant resembles a woody carrot. "

Does not. That's a description of Fouquieria columnaris. The top part of
Welwitschia, which is the part you usually see, looks like what you throw in
the garbage after you made the salad.

Old 25-09-2004, 05:21 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

" The plant resembles a woody carrot. "

Iris Cohen schreef
Does not. That's a description of Fouquieria columnaris. The top part of
Welwitschia, which is the part you usually see, looks like what you throw

in the garbage after you made the salad.

********
Ah, you are basing your botanical definitions on what you see and how you
would use it in the kitchen. That explains a lot.
PvR

Old 25-09-2004, 11:50 PM
Cereus-validus

One can conclude from that remark from Rinkytink that he has seen neither a
Welwitschia nor a carrot.

Old 25-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Cereus-validus

One can conclude from the remarks from Rinkytink that he has never seen a
Welwitschia nor a carrot.

Also one can conclude that he has no proficiency in the kitchen either. If
it wasn't for fast food and bumming off acquaintances, he probably would
starve to death. With his equal knowledge of wild plants, if he was stranded
in a forest, he would starve.

Old 28-09-2004, 04:17 AM
Sean Houtman

Zeitkind wrote in news:cim7b5$tgq$03$2
@news.t-online.com:

Sean Houtman wrote:

generally height.

So.. all bonsai are shrubs?

Sorry.. couldn't resist..

No, some bonsai are herbs. If you bonsai a giant redwood, would it
still not be tiny at 20 feet?

Sean

Old 29-09-2004, 08:31 AM
Roger Whitehead

In article , Phred wrote:
the Belgians had an old joke
that copper wire was invented by two Dutchmen fighting over a penny.

8-)

Roger (who has found people in both nations to be generous)

Old 29-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Cereus-validus

How great the white man's burden must be!!!

So why was he named for a pimple?

Old 30-09-2004, 02:00 AM
Peter Jason

Aw gee! Just like a cactus-geek affecting

news