GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help identifing an alien pod! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/83705-help-identifing-alien-pod.html)

Cory Jackson 16-09-2004 10:18 PM

Help identifing an alien pod!

http://bluepointdesign.com/weird/

I found this pod in a lot next to my house. One of the strangest natural
things I've ever seen! Can someone tell me what the heck this is before I
hack it up and dispose of it? FYI I live in Fallbrook California.

Don't reply to this email address, I never check it. Instead you use cory@
plus the domain name in the link above.

Thanks!

mel turner 16-09-2004 11:41 PM

"Cory Jackson" wrote in message

http://bluepointdesign.com/weird/

I found this pod in a lot next to my house. One of the strangest natural
things I've ever seen! Can someone tell me what the heck this is before I
hack it up and dispose of it? FYI I live in Fallbrook California.

It looks like a large tuberous root. Similar root tubers are possessed
by numerous vines [esp. some morning glories, several members of the
squash/cucumber family]. Some common California wild cucumber
relatives, Marah or Echinocystis, are famous for their giant tubers
that can be much larger than the one in your photo. Some wild
Cucurbita gourds also have huge tubers.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Man-root
http://www.cnps-yerbabuena.org/gard_sigg_manroot.html
http://www.necandeconews.to/modules....icle&sid= 229
http://www.starlandretreat.com/Index/Nature.htm
http://www.sanelijo.org/plants/image...cumberroot.jpg
http://www.sanelijo.org/plants/image...umberfruit.jpg
http://www.sanelijo.org/plants/image...cumbervine.jpg
http://www.botgard.ucla.edu/html/bot...e/a0804tx.html

Do you recall seeing similar spiny-fruited wild cucumber vines at
or near the site?

cheers

Cory Jackson 18-09-2004 08:32 PM

You're going to make me loose my bet! My girlfriend insists it some root
burl or something but I disagree. I've seen damaged roots before that went
haywire but there always appeared to be an in and an out to it if you know
what I mean. This appears to be completely on the surface and has roots
coming from it into the ground from the top. There are no vines attached to
it or any other form of life. There was a small growth on top of it though,
like how a potato starts to sprout but it was only a couple of inches. There
are no vines of any type in the area. The only thing growing there was a
mass of Laurel Sumac and it's deadfall. And we're talking massive deadfall.
In all I found three large rats nests that looked like beaver lodges, the
largest of which was 4' tall intertwined and protected by the sumac. This
was found under one of these nests. The only other thing growing there was
some scrub (California?) oaks and some olive saplings but none anywhere near
this thing. In fact there wasn't and sumac root clusters near either and the
Sumac seems to have a very small root system, IOW not like a tree would
have. And due to the density there were no plants anywhere on the surface or
anywhere nearby. I didn't really know what a tuber was and I think you are
right, although the idea of a huge potato somehow makes me hungry right now.
But it begs the question "A tuber for what?". After boning up on tubers I
did a google image search but couldn't find anything that looked like this.
Do Laurel Sumac ever have tubers? That would be my best guess since there is
nothing else around of any size. Maybe I'll dig up the roots and see where
they lead.

Zeitkind 20-09-2004 01:00 AM

mel turner wrote:

http://www.sanelijo.org/plants/image...cumberroot.jpg
http://www.sanelijo.org/plants/image...umberfruit.jpg
http://www.sanelijo.org/plants/image...cumbervine.jpg

Looks funny to me. Never seen before. Are the fruits poisonous? Like to
have one in my garden.. ;)

Iris Cohen 20-09-2004 02:36 AM

Looks funny to me.

You think that's funny? Wait till you see a Welwitschia or a Boojum tree.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Sean Houtman 20-09-2004 06:12 AM

"Cory Jackson" wrote in
:

"mel turner" wrote in message
"Cory Jackson" wrote in message

http://bluepointdesign.com/weird/

I found this pod in a lot next to my house. One of the strangest
natural things I've ever seen! Can someone tell me what the heck
this is before I hack it up and dispose of it? FYI I live in
Fallbrook California.

It looks like a large tuberous root. Similar root tubers are
possessed by numerous vines [esp. some morning glories, several
members of the squash/cucumber family]. Some common California
wild cucumber relatives, Marah or Echinocystis, are famous for
their giant tubers that can be much larger than the one in your
photo. Some wild Cucurbita gourds also have huge tubers.

snip some links

You're going to make me loose my bet! My girlfriend insists it
some root burl or something but I disagree. I've seen damaged
roots before that went haywire but there always appeared to be an
in and an out to it if you know what I mean. This appears to be
completely on the surface and has roots coming from it into the
ground from the top. There are no vines attached to it or any
other form of life. There was a small growth on top of it though,
like how a potato starts to sprout but it was only a couple of
inches. There are no vines of any type in the area.

snip a bit more

Consider your bet lost. You actually do answer your question
yourself, actually. You say there are some roots coming out of it,
and a sprout on top of it. These are sure-fire signs of some sort of
tuber. If you leave a potato on the counter long enough, it will
develop roots and sprouts too. Since your pictures don't have detail
of the sprout, it is hard to distinguish between the possible
choices that Mel listed. If you leave it alone, it will grow more
stuff that can be used to ID it better. This may not happen till
next spring. When it gets big enough, you can take it to your local
county extension agent, they might be able to tell you.

As far as eating it, I wouldn't suggest it, as it may very well be
poisonous. If you taste it and it is extremely bitter, then most
likely it is one of the wild cucumber or gourds mentioned. If it is
bland, then probably an Ipomoea. A good indication that it is likely
poisonous is that the rats that built their nests on and near it
didn't eat any of it.

Sean

Zeitkind 20-09-2004 10:15 AM

Iris Cohen wrote:

You think that's funny? Wait till you see a Welwitschia

The ones in Namibia? They don't impress me much (disregarding their way
and will to survive, only talking about their look now)

or a Boojum tree.

Looks like an ill conifer to me.. ;)

Cereus-validus 20-09-2004 02:21 PM

You really are one sick puppy, Zippy Zeitkook.

You probably simply yawned when you saw your first Baobab.

Maybe you might get a distinct impression the next time you get thrown into
a cactus patch?

Cory Jackson 23-09-2004 03:55 AM

I wasn't seriously thinking of taking a bite but it would make sense that
it's probably no good if the rats didn't knaw on it! Thanks!

Cory Jackson 23-09-2004 03:56 AM

Good pix but i have no vines like this around. Thanks for the links!