GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree Identification - northern New Jersey (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/83947-re-tree-identification-northern-new-jersey.html)

swim learning 22-09-2004 02:16 PM

Tree Identification - northern New Jersey

(swim learning) wrote in message . com...
Please identify the tree whose eight photos, taken in September, are
shown he
http://myturl.com/0015j

If the web-page is not accessible, please go to:
http://photos.yahoo.com/shahswim

and select the "plant-25" album.

The leaves are simply toothed and opposite. The twig has a pair of
opposite leaves, then a second pair perpendicular to the first, then a
third pair aligned as the first pair and so on. What is such an
arrangement named?

The flat, long fruit, shown in pic-2, looks somewhat like a smaller
version of green-ash fruit.

Thank you.

I am adding the newsgroup sci/bio/botany to the thread. Toad and Pam
are suggesting the tree is a Fraxinus Oxycarpa (Raywood Ash). Pictures
of Raywood Ash show the leaf-pairs in a single plane while the tree in
my photos have adjacent leaf-pairs perpendicular to each other. Please
clarify.

mel turner 22-09-2004 09:22 PM

"swim learning" wrote in message
om...
(swim learning) wrote in message

. com...
Please identify the tree whose eight photos, taken in September, are
shown he http://myturl.com/0015j

If the web-page is not accessible, please go to:
http://photos.yahoo.com/shahswim

and select the "plant-25" album.

The leaves are simply toothed and opposite. The twig has a pair of
opposite leaves, then a second pair perpendicular to the first, then a
third pair aligned as the first pair and so on. What is such an
arrangement named?

Opposite-decussate. That's generally true of most plants with opposite
leaves.

The flat, long fruit, shown in pic-2, looks somewhat like a smaller
version of green-ash fruit.

Thank you.

I am adding the newsgroup sci/bio/botany to the thread. Toad and Pam
are suggesting the tree is a Fraxinus Oxycarpa (Raywood Ash). Pictures
of Raywood Ash show the leaf-pairs in a single plane

More likely, you're looking at the leaflets making up a compound leaf
typical of most ash species. Yours has simple leaves.

while the tree in
my photos have adjacent leaf-pairs perpendicular to each other. Please
clarify.

The fruits in your photo very clearly seem to be those of an ash [genus
Fraxinus], but nearly all ashes have compound leaves divided into leaflets.

Your tree, on the other hand, seems to have simple, toothed leaves. I'd
thought that the only simple-leaved ash species was _Fraxinus anomala_
from the southwest, but its foliage appears rather different from yours:

http://www.suu.edu/faculty/martin/as...leleafash.html

However,
http://ohioline.osu.edu/b700/b700_63.html

says that one commonly cultivated form of _Fraxinus excelsior_ [European
Ash]
has simple leaves. That's my best guess as to the identity of your mystery
tree.

cheers

mel turner 22-09-2004 10:20 PM

"I" wrote in message
"swim learning" wrote in message
om...
(swim learning) wrote in message

. com...
Please identify the tree whose eight photos, taken in September, are
shown he http://myturl.com/0015j

If the web-page is not accessible, please go to:
http://photos.yahoo.com/shahswim

[snip]
The fruits in your photo very clearly seem to be those of an ash
[genus Fraxinus], but nearly all ashes have compound leaves divided
into leaflets.

Your tree, on the other hand, seems to have simple, toothed leaves.
I'd thought that the only simple-leaved ash species was _Fraxinus
anomala_ from the southwest, but its foliage appears rather different
from yours:

http://www.suu.edu/faculty/martin/as...leleafash.html

However,
http://ohioline.osu.edu/b700/b700_63.html

says that one commonly cultivated form of _Fraxinus excelsior_
[European Ash] has simple leaves. That's my best guess as to the
identity of your mystery tree.

That guess seems to be correct.

See
http://horticulture.missouri.edu/sta...2/frax_exc.htm

for a seeming very close match of your plant in
_Fraxinus excelsior "Hessei"

cheers

P van Rijckevorsel 23-09-2004 09:23 AM

mel turner schreef
Your tree, on the other hand, seems to have simple, toothed leaves.

I'd thought that the only simple-leaved ash species was _Fraxinus
anomala_ from the southwest, but its foliage appears rather different
from yours:

http://www.suu.edu/faculty/martin/as...leleafash.html

However,
http://ohioline.osu.edu/b700/b700_63.html

says that one commonly cultivated form of _Fraxinus excelsior_

[European Ash] has simple leaves. That's my best guess as to the
identity of your mystery tree.

*****
I remember that Fraxinus angustifolia 'Monophylla' also has simple leaves
(compound leaves with a single leaflet). As can be read from the name this
is a fairly old cultivar. Its leaves will be rather more narrow.
PvR

Zeitkind 23-09-2004 09:36 PM

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:

I remember that Fraxinus angustifolia

Has normally smaller leaves, see
http://www.systbot.gu.se/staff/evawa...ustif_lvs2.jpg

A lot of ashes photos can be found he

http://www.systbot.gu.se/staff/evawal/fraximages.html

P van Rijckevorsel 23-09-2004 10:07 PM

Zeitkind schreef
Has normally smaller leaves

* * *
1) ash has leaflets
2) according to my dendrology text the leaflets of F.angustifolia
'Monophylla' are twice the size of F.angustifolia and actually bigger than
those of a typical F.excelsior
3) I never suggested that this is the identity of the 'mystery tree'
PvR