Old 29-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Keith Michaels

Default apple reblooming

My apple tree is blooming in September. What's up with that?
Will I have apples in March?
I'm in Seattle...
Old 30-09-2004, 01:14 PM
Iris Cohen

My apple tree is blooming in September. What's up with that?
Will I have apples in March?
I'm in Seattle...

A number of spring blooming shrubs and trees have bloomed sporadically this
fall. It is due to our unusually cool and rainy summer.
No, you won't have apples in March. The tree requires bees for pollination, &
they are probably not around now. Also, you need the long hot days of summer to
make fruit ripen. Just enjoy the extra flowers.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 30-09-2004, 09:24 PM
Christopher Green

(Iris Cohen) wrote in message ...
My apple tree is blooming in September. What's up with that?
Will I have apples in March?
I'm in Seattle...

A number of spring blooming shrubs and trees have bloomed sporadically this
fall. It is due to our unusually cool and rainy summer.
No, you won't have apples in March. The tree requires bees for pollination, &
they are probably not around now. Also, you need the long hot days of summer to
make fruit ripen. Just enjoy the extra flowers.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

The OP is in Seattle. Growing apples on the Pacific coast is quite a
bit different from growing them elsewhere. There are early-season
low-chill varieties (mainly descendants of Golden Delicious, many of
which are due to hybridizers in Israel) that are grown there but not
in traditional apple country. These are selected to bloom and set
fruit on little or zero chill and ripen even in cool, foggy summers.

It's not unusual for apples to rebloom at or near the coast, and not
unusual to get a decent second crop, especially in places that see no
frost or not enough to damage the fruit. Bees won't settle down for
the winter for a month or so, either, so there shouldn't be an issue
with pollination. If the OP's variety is an early-season bearer such
as 'Anna', it doesn't even need a long summer to ripen; a good "Indian
summer" may suffice.

--
Chris Green
Old 30-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Keith Michaels

In article ,
(Christopher Green) writes:

(Iris Cohen) wrote in message ...
| My apple tree is blooming in September. What's up with that?
| Will I have apples in March?
| I'm in Seattle...
|
| A number of spring blooming shrubs and trees have bloomed sporadically this
| fall. It is due to our unusually cool and rainy summer.
| No, you won't have apples in March. The tree requires bees for pollination, &
| they are probably not around now. Also, you need the long hot days of summer to
| make fruit ripen. Just enjoy the extra flowers.
|
| Iris,
| Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
| "If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the oncoming
| train."
| Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
|
| The OP is in Seattle. Growing apples on the Pacific coast is quite a
| bit different from growing them elsewhere. There are early-season
| low-chill varieties (mainly descendants of Golden Delicious, many of
| which are due to hybridizers in Israel) that are grown there but not
| in traditional apple country. These are selected to bloom and set
| fruit on little or zero chill and ripen even in cool, foggy summers.
|
| It's not unusual for apples to rebloom at or near the coast, and not
| unusual to get a decent second crop, especially in places that see no
| frost or not enough to damage the fruit. Bees won't settle down for
| the winter for a month or so, either, so there shouldn't be an issue
| with pollination. If the OP's variety is an early-season bearer such
| as 'Anna', it doesn't even need a long summer to ripen; a good "Indian
| summer" may suffice.
|
| --
| Chris Green

Unfortunately the blooming variety is Gravenstein. There are nearby
Spartan, Gala, Golden Delicious, and assorted crabs but none of those
are blooming now so I don't think I will get fruit.

Old 01-10-2004, 07:08 AM
Christopher Green

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:25:52 GMT, (Keith
Michaels) wrote:

In article ,
(Christopher Green) writes:

(Iris Cohen) wrote in message ...
| My apple tree is blooming in September. What's up with that?
| Will I have apples in March?
| I'm in Seattle...
|
| A number of spring blooming shrubs and trees have bloomed sporadically this
| fall. It is due to our unusually cool and rainy summer.
| No, you won't have apples in March. The tree requires bees for pollination, &
| they are probably not around now. Also, you need the long hot days of summer to
| make fruit ripen. Just enjoy the extra flowers.
|
| Iris,
| Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
| "If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the oncoming
| train."
| Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
|
| The OP is in Seattle. Growing apples on the Pacific coast is quite a
| bit different from growing them elsewhere. There are early-season
| low-chill varieties (mainly descendants of Golden Delicious, many of
| which are due to hybridizers in Israel) that are grown there but not
| in traditional apple country. These are selected to bloom and set
| fruit on little or zero chill and ripen even in cool, foggy summers.
|
| It's not unusual for apples to rebloom at or near the coast, and not
| unusual to get a decent second crop, especially in places that see no
| frost or not enough to damage the fruit. Bees won't settle down for
| the winter for a month or so, either, so there shouldn't be an issue
| with pollination. If the OP's variety is an early-season bearer such
| as 'Anna', it doesn't even need a long summer to ripen; a good "Indian
| summer" may suffice.
|
| --
| Chris Green

Unfortunately the blooming variety is Gravenstein. There are nearby
Spartan, Gala, Golden Delicious, and assorted crabs but none of those
are blooming now so I don't think I will get fruit.

Gravenstein isn't self-fertile, so I suppose you're right. Bummer, an
out-of-season basket of Gravensteins would be a boon indeed.

--
Chris Green
Old 02-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Iris Cohen

We have also had a cool rainy summer & a warm Sepember. (Key is broken.) Darned
if my 'Indian Summer' bonsai crabapple isn' in bloom. However, I will be very
surprisednif I ge any frui.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Iris Cohen

Iris, until you get your keyboard cleaned or repaired, you can make a t by
holding down the alt key, and entering 116, and a T with alt and 084.

I must admit this is one trick where the PC scores over the Mac. You can't do
it on a Mac. The Mac does have a utility called Key Caps, & I could get a t
there if I had to. However, the lost key is on our old laptop, which I rarely
use. If I find a pot of gold, I will get a newer laptop. I don't know if this
one can be fixed easily.

Old 03-10-2004, 03:41 PM

In article ,
Iris Cohen wrote:
Iris, until you get your keyboard cleaned or repaired, you can make a t by
holding down the alt key, and entering 116, and a T with alt and 084.

I must admit this is one trick where the PC scores over the Mac. You can't do
it on a Mac. The Mac does have a utility called Key Caps, & I could get a t
there if I had to. However, the lost key is on our old laptop, which I rarely
use. If I find a pot of gold, I will get a newer laptop. I don't know if this
one can be fixed easily.

The most common cause of this symptom is a speck of dirt in the contact
under the key. Try turning the keyboard upside down and shaking it,
blowing into it in the area of the defective key, or using a vacuum
cleaner on it. Technicians use a can of compressed air for the purpose.

If you shake it over a clean, light colored surface, you may be amused
or appalled at the amount of dandruff, cookie crumbs and beard hairs
that shake out. Or as we used to say around the lab, we *hope* those
are beard hairs!

Old 04-10-2004, 02:25 AM
Iris Cohen

Enough already! Fortunately, the missing key is on our old laptop. I was only
using it yesterday while the iMac was at the orchid show.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Advice needed on reblooming phals Sarah Orchids 5 26-12-2004 06:05 PM
Advice needed on reblooming phals. Sarah Orchids 12 17-12-2004 10:00 PM
Advice needed on reblooming phals. Sarah Orchids 0 14-12-2004 07:28 PM
reblooming iris grapc Gardening 0 16-05-2003 02:44 AM
Reblooming Irises have not started to grow - are they dead? :( BillC Gardening 5 26-04-2003 09:20 PM