Old 05-10-2004, 11:11 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Asking a Favor

I don't know if it is a problem with AOL, UseNet, or my computer, but in this
particular newsgroup, I miss many of the messages. I only get two or three a
day, then I see a long string of quotes from messages I never got. Of course
there are many I could easily do without, LOL. However, if you post a message
kind enough to cc my e-mail address.
Thanks.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 06-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Phred

In article , (Iris Cohen) wrote:
I don't know if it is a problem with AOL, UseNet, or my computer, but in this
particular newsgroup, I miss many of the messages. I only get two or three a
day, then I see a long string of quotes from messages I never got. Of course
there are many I could easily do without, LOL. However, if you post a message
kind enough to cc my e-mail address.

G'day Iris. Seems you're using "the German site" like many of us?

I have to say your "problem" is probably not unique. It hasn't really
bothered me, but, like you, I seem to miss the opening post to *many*
discussions and only see the resultant followups -- and there's no
easy way of noticing whether I'm missing some of them too AFAIK.

I've been inclined to blame my own inattention to detail for missing
the originals -- but you're apparently suffering from the same
failing, so I'm now inclined to blame the news server. Bit strange.

It *may* have something to do with their policy on retention of
individual groups; but I would have thought sci.bio.botany would be
well up there in the priority list. :-) However, if retention is
fairly short, stuff may get deleted before folk in other time zones
get the chance to see it.

Frankly, I don't really see that as an explanation. At least some of
our regional aus.* groups get a run of at least 3 days, for example,
so I would have assumed most of the "serious" Big Eight got at least
that long!

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 06-10-2004, 02:04 PM
Iris Cohen

I went over my Preferences for this group, which should help.
To repeat something I just wrote, which I haven't seen posted, let Archie
alone. He is not all there. Be compassionate & don't make fun of him, any more
than you would make fun of someone who is physically disabled.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:15 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Phred schreef
[...]

***
I must be terribly spoiled then. I seem to be getting everything (except the
stuff sent by the people living in the killfile) and everything stays on the
server for two weeks (or more?). I remember trying to cut this down, but
unsuccesfully: everything stays with me for two weeks no matter what I do.

I wouldn't know what are the Big Eight.
PvR
I'll try and cc Iris

Old 06-10-2004, 07:29 PM
Timothy

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:11:27 +0000, Iris Cohen wrote:

I don't know if it is a problem with AOL, UseNet, or my computer, but in
this particular newsgroup, I miss many of the messages. I only get two or
three a day, then I see a long string of quotes from messages I never got.
Of course there are many I could easily do without, LOL. However, if you
post a message in response to something I wrote, or you think it would
interest me, please be kind enough to cc my e-mail address.
Thanks.
Iris

Good day Iris. I would assume that it's aol's servers that are the
problem . Their retention times must be low. I would suggest that you dump
aol's servers all together (imho).
You could use google to post and read this group:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...sci.bio.botany

You could also use x-privat.org :
http://x-privat.org/english.php
You will have to sign up with them and get a user/pass from them. They're
a bit slow but they filter your ip address.

I have a list of other free text servers, but they don't have posting
rights.

Old 07-10-2004, 03:20 PM
Phred

In article ,
"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote:

I wouldn't know what are the Big Eight.

Just a reference to the basic eight hierarchies that have been around
USENET "since the beginning" so to speak. There is an element of
agreed bureaucracy associated with creating new or altering old parts
of the structure. You can find info in news.announce.newgroups with
periodical posting of FAQs there and in news.groups (also found in the
associated web sites)

For example, here's the start of the most recent posting of the FAQ
in news.announce.newgroups:
quoting
Last-modified: 2004-06-17 (revision 1.10)
Posted-by: postfaq 1.12 (Perl 5.8.4)
Archive-name: usenet/creating-newsgroups/big-eight
Posting-frequency: monthly

THE BIG EIGHT NEWSGROUP CREATION PROCESS

These guidelines document the process to create, rename, remove, or change
the moderation status of newsgroups in the Big Eight hierarchies (those
newsgroups with names starting with comp.*, humanities.*, misc.*, news.*,
rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, and talk.*). Proposals under this process must go
through a discussion phase, a voting phase, and a verification phase as
described below.

For information on how to submit a proposal and advice on working within
this process, please see the FAQs posted to news.announce.newgroups and
news.groups. [etc. etc.]

/quoting

Just in case you needed to know. ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 07-10-2004, 04:31 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Thank you. Doesn't do me any good to know, but who knows what the future may
bring ...
PvR

A favor Gene Schurg[_2_] Orchids 8 09-06-2008 07:40 PM
May I ask a favor please ? Claude Gagne Orchids 3 10-09-2006 04:21 PM
A Small Favor........ Diana Kulaga Orchids 8 01-03-2006 06:59 PM
BamuBrasil.org - New Portal for bamboo information in Brazil, asking for volunteers Jo?o Paulo Freire Paglione Bamboo 4 31-10-2003 12:12 PM