Old 13-10-2004, 04:28 PM
David Hamilton Cox

Default Another Flower ID request (Virginia)

Here is an interesting little mystery. Seen this week in Shenandoah
National Park, in a thicket of mountain laurel and chestnut oaks.
The plant is about 1.5 to 2 inches tall:

http://www.nyx.net/~dhcox/broom1.jpg

Each little closed "flower" appears to be 5 sepals, enclosing a
small (quarter inch long or smaller) flower of 5 petals, fused
to form a tube for the lower half of the length of the petals:

http://www.nyx.net/~dhcox/broom4.jpg

Inside the flower are 10 stamens and the pistil.

http://www.nyx.net/~dhcox/broom5.jpg

Here is another picture inside the flower:

http://www.nyx.net/~dhcox/broom2.jpg

I am completely stumped on this one. I thought it might be in
the broomrape family at first, but that was easy to eliminate,
since there are few of those. I would be very grateful for any
ideas about species or genus or family -- TIA!

-David Cox

Old 13-10-2004, 06:57 PM
Monique Reed

David Hamilton Cox wrote:

Here is an interesting little mystery. Seen this week in Shenandoah
National Park, in a thicket of mountain laurel and chestnut oaks.
The plant is about 1.5 to 2 inches tall:

http://www.nyx.net/~dhcox/broom1.jpg

Was there any green on the plant at all? This resembles a bit some of
the parasitic Orobanche we get down here. Might also look about in
the Monotropas and other non-chlorophyllous things.

M. Reed
Old 13-10-2004, 07:37 PM
Iris Cohen

Looks like a gentian. The bottle gentian that I have seen (G. andrewsii) is
much taller, but I would check out that genus.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 13-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Cereus-validus

Monotropsis odorata

http://www.gsrcorp.com/tes/MOOD2/mood_text.html

http://www.gsrcorp.com/tes/rare_plants.html

Old 13-10-2004, 09:07 PM
David Hamilton Cox

Old 13-10-2004, 11:19 PM
David Hamilton Cox

Newsgroups: sci.bio.botany
Subject: Another Flower ID Request (Virginia)

Yes, it is indeed Monotropsis odorata. In fact, the "Manual of the
Vascular Flora of the Carolinas" mentions an M. odorata var. lehmaniae,
which flowering period (Sept-Nov) and lack of odor matches up to
the specimen I found. Thanks for the help! I feel a little chagrined
that I didn't think to check the Monotropa, or rather thought of it
and didn't pursue it (the Monotropsis appears right after the
Monotropa in the reference mentioned above). The lack of green on
the plant should have encouraged me to check that out. Oh well.

Thanks again!

-David Cox
Old 17-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Narthecium

Similarity between this species and the European Lathraea squamaria is striking!

http://www.gartendatenbank.de/pflanzen/lathraea/004.htm

http://www.grzyby.pl/rosliny/gatunki..._squamaria.htm

(David Hamilton Cox) wrote in message ...
Newsgroups: sci.bio.botany

Yes, it is indeed Monotropsis odorata. In fact, the "Manual of the
Vascular Flora of the Carolinas" mentions an M. odorata var. lehmaniae,
which flowering period (Sept-Nov) and lack of odor matches up to
the specimen I found. Thanks for the help! I feel a little chagrined
that I didn't think to check the Monotropa, or rather thought of it
and didn't pursue it (the Monotropsis appears right after the
Monotropa in the reference mentioned above). The lack of green on
the plant should have encouraged me to check that out. Oh well.

Thanks again!

-David Cox

Another mystery plant ID request Merle O'Broham Gardening 2 02-06-2005 06:41 PM
Another ID request... Toni Gardening 1 19-04-2005 09:29 PM
another request to id unknown plants audrey Gardening 2 26-08-2003 03:02 PM
Another ID request: Tiny flower, SNP David Hamilton Cox Plant Science 2 15-06-2003 11:20 PM