GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Identifying plants on coins (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/85278-identifying-plants-coins.html)

obembe 20-10-2004 09:41 PM

Identifying plants on coins

Does anyone recognise the plants on these 2 centimos and 20 centimos coins
of Mozambique, please?

http://home.houston.rr.com/snaps/Obembe.doc

The consensus so far for the others is:-

1 centimo. Protea, Leucospermum sp.
1 metica. Madgascar Palm, Pachypodium sp.
5 centimos. Cashew apples.
10 centimos. Sugar cane, Saccharum officinarum
50 centimos. Cashew, Anacardium occidentale
2 M 50. (2 meticas and 50 centimos) Castor bean plant, ricinus communis

Regards,

Adetola Obembe.

Sean Houtman 22-10-2004 04:18 AM

"obembe" wrote in :

Does anyone recognise the plants on these 2 centimos and 20
centimos coins of Mozambique, please?

http://home.houston.rr.com/snaps/Obembe.doc

The consensus so far for the others is:-

1 centimo. Protea, Leucospermum sp.
1 metica. Madgascar Palm, Pachypodium sp.
5 centimos. Cashew apples.

Cashew apples have appeared on Mozambique coins, but the image you
have provided does not look like them to me. This flower resembles
Tea, Camellia sinensis, which is a major export for them.

10 centimos. Sugar cane, Saccharum officinarum
50 centimos. Cashew, Anacardium occidentale
2 M 50. (2 meticas and 50 centimos) Castor bean plant, ricinus
communis

I suspect another important export, Cotton, or Gossypium
(herbaceum,likely). Note the appearance of the pod, Ricinus has a
distinctively spiny pod.
http://www.odla.nu/artiklar/images/b...inus-communis-
carmencita.jpg

Regards,

Adetola Obembe.

20 centimos looks kind of like a Bird of Paradise, Strelitzia
reginae.

2 centimos looks like Chicory, but that can't be right...

I stumbled on your discussion at gardenbanter.co.uk, if you are
going to research "sisalagave" be sure to separate the two parts,
Sisal is a species of Agave, your coins do not have images of any
agave.

Sean

obembe 23-10-2004 09:10 AM

The consensus so far for the others is:-

1 centimo. Protea, Leucospermum sp.
1 metica. Madgascar Palm, Pachypodium sp.
5 centimos. Cashew apples.

Cashew apples have appeared on Mozambique coins, but the image you
have provided does not look like them to me. This flower resembles
Tea, Camellia sinensis, which is a major export for them.

Thanks for that, Sean. so you're a bit of a numismatist too?

2 M 50. (2 meticas and 50 centimos) Castor bean plant, ricinus
communis

I suspect another important export, Cotton, or Gossypium
(herbaceum,likely). Note the appearance of the pod, Ricinus has a
distinctively spiny pod.
http://www.odla.nu/artiklar/images/b...inus-communis-
carmencita.jpg

Elizabeth on the garden newsgroup shares your suspicion, so I'll go with
that.

2 centimos looks like Chicory, but that can't be right...

Wouldn't it thrive in Mozambique?

I stumbled on your discussion at gardenbanter.co.uk, if you are
going to research "sisalagave" be sure to separate the two parts,
Sisal is a species of Agave, your coins do not have images of any
agave.

Thanks, Sean. It was printed as one word in the coin catalogue - obviously a
typo.

Thanks and regards,

Adetola Obembe.

Sean Houtman 24-10-2004 04:32 AM

"obembe" wrote in news:417a11f0@
212.67.96.135:

Cashew apples have appeared on Mozambique coins, but the

image
you have provided does not look like them to me. This

flower
resembles Tea, Camellia sinensis, which is a major

export for
them.

Thanks for that, Sean. so you're a bit of a numismatist

too?

Not at all, I pick up pennies on the street, but I have a
nearly insane drive to have a name for things, and plants
are a favorite.

2 centimos looks like Chicory, but that can't be

right...

Wouldn't it thrive in Mozambique?

It might, unless it requires a winter for dormancy.

Sean