Old 10-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Bernhard Kuemel

Default plz ID this plant

Hi sbb!

We have an unknown plant growing with our cactus. Can you id it?

http://bksys.at/bernhard/img/x14/-gallery.html?sbb

Thanks, Bernhard, Elke
Old 10-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Cereus-validus.

Your plant is not a cactus. Its a Euphorbia.

The weed is some sort of Acacia. The bipinnate foliage is the juvenille
form.

http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/acacia.html

Old 10-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Roger Whitehead

In article , Bernhard Kuemel wrote:
We have an unknown plant growing with our cactus. Can you id it?

Looks like a Mimosa (mimosa pudica). Do the leaves curl up when you touch
them?

Roger

Old 10-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Cereus-validus.

You lack imagination, Roger.

Its already too big to be Mimosa pudica and the bipinnate foliage is too
large.

Like I already said, the weed is some sort of Acacia. The bipinnate foliage
is the juvenille form.

http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/acacia.html

Also the other plant is not a cactus. Its a Euphorbia.

Old 10-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Roger Whitehead

Can't help, then.

Roger

Old 11-11-2004, 03:31 AM
Iris Cohen

We have an unknown plant growing with our cactus. Can you id it?

It looks like some kind of Acacia. Give it more light to get less stringy
growth. You won't be able to tell the species until it blooms. Look up Acacia
to see if it matches. Does it have any thorns?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra
Old 11-11-2004, 07:45 AM
Sean Houtman

"Cereus-validus." wrote in
om:

"Roger Whitehead" wrote in message
In article , Bernhard Kuemel wrote:
We have an unknown plant growing with our cactus. Can you id
it?

Looks like a Mimosa (mimosa pudica). Do the leaves curl up when
you touch them?

Roger

You lack imagination, Roger.

Its already too big to be Mimosa pudica and the bipinnate foliage
is too large.

Like I already said, the weed is some sort of Acacia. The
bipinnate foliage is the juvenille form.

http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/acacia.html

Also the other plant is not a cactus. Its a Euphorbia.

Doesn't look like any of the acacias I have seen around here. They
tend to be rather spiny. Of course, there are many Acacias that
aren't.

The poster is in Austria, so I wouldn't expect any of the Australian
Wattles, but if the plant was obtained from a nursery (prolly, it is
grafted), who knows what may have been growing there to drop seeds
into their stock.

To me it looks like Silk Tree, Albizzia julibrissin.

http://www.vialattea.net/esperti/bio/mimosa/

But it may be a Caesalpinia as well.

Sean

Old 11-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Cereus-validus...

It could any one of a number of Acacia or Acacia relatives. The seedling is
a bit etiolated and with atypical juvenile foliage.

He never said where he got his "cactus" which is actually a Euphorbia.

BTW, you can't graft Fabaceae onto Euphorbia.

"Sean Houtman" wrote in message
"Cereus-validus." wrote in
om:

Old 11-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Iris Cohen

The weed is some sort of Acacia. The bipinnate foliage is the juvenile form.

Huh? I thought some acacias were always bipinnate. I have a bonsai grove of
sweet acacia, A. farnesiana. Some of the trees are about 5 years old. They have
never been anything but bipinnate.
I looked at some pictures on the Web. Photos of A. farnesiana, and some USDA
drawings of several acacias, all show bipinnate foliage.

Old 11-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Cereus-validus...

Did you actually use the link and see for yourself or are you just letting
your fingers do the wondering?

Here we go again, just in case you missed it the first time.

Old 11-11-2004, 05:46 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereus-validus... schreef
Did you actually use the link and see for yourself or are you just letting
your fingers do the wondering?

******
You mean where it says:
"A few species, such as the well-known "Cootamundra wattle" (A.baileyana)
and "Mudgee wattle" (A.spectabilis), retain the compound, fern-like leaves
throughout their lives."

Question: did you read it? Or for that matter know anything about Acacia?
PvR

Old 11-11-2004, 11:02 PM
Cereus-validus...

Oh sure Rinkytink, we all know that YOU are intimately familiar with all the
tree Acacias that are found in that dry veld of the Netherlands.

That is when you are not busy wrestling with lions, tigers and rogue
elephants in your underwear!!!

The point was that the website does mention Acacia species that retain
bipinnate foliage in their adult state.

When do you think you will attain an adult state, if ever?

Cereus-validus... schreef

Old 12-11-2004, 03:48 AM
Iris Cohen

ts already too big to be Mimosa pudica and the bipinnate foliage is too
large.

I agree. Sir, where did you get your Euphorbia? That may give us a clue as
which acacia you have.

Old 12-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Bernhard Kuemel

Dear Lady Iris!

Iris Cohen wrote:
ts already too big to be Mimosa pudica and the bipinnate foliage is too
large.

I agree. Sir,

Umm, I'm not sure, if I am a Sir

where did you get your Euphorbia?

The daughter of my girlfriend brougt it home. I'll ask her. Ok,
it is from a "Holland Blumenmarkt" (a brand name for a plant
supermarket, literally "Holland Flowermarket").

That may give us a clue as which acacia you have.

I'm fine with knowing it's an acacia. But we can explore this
further if you like.

It looks like some kind of Acacia. Give it more light to get less stringy
growth. You won't be able to tell the species until it blooms. Look up Acacia
to see if it matches.

That was nice, suggesting more light rather than calling it a
weed. If we keep the plants together, would the acacia kill the
euphorbia? Since we won't probably move the pot to a brighter
spot, we thought of separating the plants. The acacia roots have
come long out of the inner pot hole and are now in the water in
the outer pot. We'd probably have to break the inner pot and drop
the soil of both plants roots to separate them. Does that sound
risky?

Does it have any thorns?

Actually, yes. There are some at some forks. They are soft yet.
On top of some forks there are nectar drops. One had a honey like
consistency and another one dried out.
On http://bksys.at/bernhard/img/x14/-gallery.html there are closeups.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Bernhard