Old 13-01-2005, 10:38 PM
aggiecon

Cereus-validus... wrote:
Assuming can get you into nothing but trouble.

Not all epiphytes are found in warm climates but all are found

growing on
trees (by definition).

There are epiphytic ferns, mosses and lichen found in arctic pine

forests.

True, but HERE we are talking about Platycerium bifurcatum, which is
found in warm climates.

Old 14-01-2005, 02:48 AM
Cereus-validus...

Make up your mind, sphagnum.

The point you keep missing is that being an epiphyte has nothing at all to
do with climate.

When you go off making absurd generalities expect to be called on it.

Nobody in this thread has been talking about Platycerium bifurcatum anymore
for quite some time.

"aggiecon" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 20-01-2005, 12:32 AM
Sean Houtman

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in
m:

Make up your mind, sphagnum.

The point you keep missing is that being an epiphyte has nothing
at all to do with climate.

When you go off making absurd generalities expect to be called on
it.

Here is your call.

There are very few epiphytes in desert climates, they exist, but
they are rare. Wet climates produce many more species and numbers of
epiphytes.

Sean

Old 20-01-2005, 02:41 AM
Peter Jason

"Sean Houtman" wrote in message
news:1106181135.8b7a597fa9a5a863a7842ce657c23f51@t eranews...
"Cereus-validus..." wrote in
m:

Make up your mind, sphagnum.

The point you keep missing is that being an epiphyte has nothing
at all to do with climate.

When you go off making absurd generalities expect to be called on
it.

Here is your call.

There are very few epiphytes in desert climates, they exist, but
they are rare. Wet climates produce many more species and numbers of
epiphytes.

Sean

This makes sense, because epiphytes require rain and moisture from the air.
Lacking roots can be a problem therefore.

Unless there are epiphitic cacti, growing on other cacti.
Which in turn support yet another smaller epiphitic cactus.... and so on ad
infinitum.

This humble writer challenges Cereus.Epiphytum.XeroCactumHangAboutum to give
a pictorial example.........

Old 20-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Cereus-validus...

Do always expect me to do your homework for you, you lazy peter puller?

Of course there would be many more epiphytes growin in more humid regions
because there are many more trees to be found there.

There are examples of Tillandsia species growing epiphytically on
Neobuxbaumia.

I even recall seeing a picture of an Opuntia growing epiphytically on a
Carnegiea in Arizona.

Old 20-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Iris Cohen

Wet climates produce many more species and numbers of epiphytes. BRBR

There is one more condition you forgot to mention; it has to be warm enough.
Few of the higher plants thrive as epiphytes where it consistently goes much
below freezing. Even in the Pacific Northwest rain forest, there are no higher
plant epiphytes (that I know of), because they are in Zone 8. The northernmost
epiphytic orchid in the Western Hemisphere, Epidendrum conopseum, is found as
far north as South Carolina.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen
Old 20-01-2005, 02:54 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Wet climates produce many more species and numbers of epiphytes.
BRBR

Iris Cohen schreef
There is one more condition you forgot to mention; it has to be warm

enough. Few of the HIGHER plants thrive as epiphytes where it consistently
goes much below freezing. Even in the Pacific Northwest rain forest, there
are no HIGHER plant epiphytes (that I know of), because they are in Zone 8.
The northernmost epiphytic orchid in the Western Hemisphere, Epidendrum
conopseum, is found as far north as South Carolina.

***
Still, epiphytes in Canadian rain forests are abundant:
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/revelst.../natcul9_e.asp
PvR

Old 21-01-2005, 01:10 AM
Cereus-validus...

Not true.

There are many epiphytes in the Pacific Northwest rain forest. However most
are lichens, mosses and ferns rather than flowering plants.

Old 21-01-2005, 02:41 AM
Iris Cohen

There are many epiphytes in the Pacific Northwest rain forest. However most
are lichens, mosses and ferns rather than flowering plants.

You didn't read my post very carefully. I said "higher plants" as in
Magnoliophyta. Even in Zone 5, we have epiphytic lichens.

Old 21-01-2005, 05:57 AM
Cereus-validus...

What are you, some kind of anthophytist?
Don't non-flowering plants count?

Old 21-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Phred

In article ,
"Cereus-validus..." wrote:
What are you, some kind of anthophytist?
Don't non-flowering plants count?

My pawpaw in the backyard has ESP, but it can't count to save itself.

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
There are many epiphytes in the Pacific Northwest rain forest. However
most
are lichens, mosses and ferns rather than flowering plants.

You didn't read my post very carefully. I said "higher plants" as in
Magnoliophyta. Even in Zone 5, we have epiphytic lichens.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 21-01-2005, 02:57 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Phred schreef
My pawpaw in the backyard has ESP, but it can't count to save itself.

***
This raises the question of what it can do, either freely or to save itself?
What is its repertoire?
PvR

Old 22-01-2005, 04:05 AM
Iris Cohen

Don't non-flowering plants count? BRBR

Don't be silly. The spermatophytes or Magnoliophyta are generally referred to
as the "higher plants" colloquially, just as the vertebrates are referred to as
the higher animals. It is not a value judgement. All I meant was that you would
not find seed-bearing epiphytes in the Pacific Northwest because the climate is
too cold.
Old 22-01-2005, 04:22 AM
Cereus-validus...

"All I meant was that you would not find seed-bearing epiphytes in the
Pacific Northwest because the climate is too cold."

I would disagree with that assertion. Its is more likely that few if any
epiphytic flowering plants are found in the Pacific Northwest because of the
lack of potential progenitors in the region.