Old 10-01-2005, 06:51 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default how about a microorganism as upper atmosphere coolant for Earth's 1stAirConditioner; Can bacteria choke off life from Earth???

I have been playing around with alot of coolant candidates. Putting
aluminum foil in the upper atmosphere. Building a fleet of aircraft.
Chemical solutions of CFC-variant. Putting salt up there.

But one thing I have not discussed is the idea that perhaps some
bacteria or microorganism can live in the upper atmosphere. And absorbs
sunlight energy and thus cooling Earth surface.

Perhaps there are already such creatures up there but never numerous
enough to worry about. But with global warming increasing perhaps they
increase also. So perhaps we already have a coolant in place and given
enough time these creatures will begin to reverse global warming.

But then there is a prospect that some of these creatures could mutate
into a form that makes the upper atmosphere an attractive environment.
So hospitable that like moss in a aquarium begins to choke life out on
the surface by blocking too much sunlight.

If there exists a biological solution for coolant in making an Earth
AirConditioner it would not be wise to use such creatures because
creatures tend to escape control.

But what if humanity via its causation of global warming makes the upper
atmosphere a hospitable environment for some forms of bacteria. And once
they get started and mutate that the upper atmosphere becomes dense with
them threatening the life on the surface of Earth.

I have never heard of a report of microorganisms that call the upper
atmosphere their home. But I suspect there are such creatures. And I
suspect that as global warming increases that these creatures will
increase dramatically to the point where they may impose a threat to
humanity.

I believe I read long time ago that viruses can actually migrate beyond
Earth and can float out of Earth's gravity.

I think as global warming increases that some scientists should be
embarking on a detailed research as to what organisms live in the upper
atmosphere and whether they may pose a benefit or a future risk and
danger.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 10-01-2005, 04:09 PM
MMu

I have also heard of micro organisms that can be found in the upper
atmosphere..*

(although those things are really tough *******s if you think of it.. uv
light from the sun, quite cold, not much to harvest..)

The idea that global warming could cause those to duplicate faster isn't all
to unrealistic actually.. although I doubt that they would actually multiply
in such a fashion that they could significantly block out sunlight.

*) I found the article on pubmed:

Microorganisms of the upper layer of the atmosphere and the protective role
of their cell pigments.
Imshenetsky AA, Lysenko SV, Lach SP.

Journal: Life Sci Space Res. 1979;17:105-10.
Institute of Microbiology, USSR Academy of Sciences, Moscow, USSR.

Of the six species of microorganisms isolated from the mesosphere, five
contained pigments and were more resistant to UV radiation compared with
their pigment-free mutants. The black pigment isolated from the conidia of
Aspergillus niger considerably increased the UV resistance of the
unpigmented mutant conidia of Penicillium notatum, the spore Circinella
muscae and the vegetative cells of Micrococcus albus. From the data it is
possible to conclude that in the upper layers of the Earth's atmosphere the
predominant proportion of pigmented microorganisms is the consequence of
natural selection by UV radiation.

Old 10-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:09:13 +0100 MMu wrote:

[...]

Yes, well thanks. Your report is much different from mine. I am drawing from
FEMS Letters of 18 December 2002 by Dr. Wainwright and others. They isolated 3
species in the upper atmosphere similar to Bacillus simplex, Staphylococcus
pasteuri, and a fungus Engyodontium album.

Of course the stratosphere has low pressure, low temperature and alot of UV
radiation.

But consider that the most prized possession of any plant like organism which a
fungus is -- the highest ground. And you do not get any higher than the upper
atmosphere.

So the huge danger here is that if a organism flourishes in the stratosphere
could be a huge danger signal to humanity for it may very well entail that
humanity must get up there to scrub clean so to speak periodically the upper
atmosphere or else these microbes will grow to such an extent as to place a
film over the Earth and block too much sunlight.

Perhaps I have found my Coolant for Earth Air Conditioner. Perhaps one of these
microbes will not only live up there but reproduce and flourish and call it its
home. Perhaps existing global warming is causing microbes to make the
stratosphere its home due to the increase in carbon compounds from global
warming. Perhaps before 1950, the amount of carbon reaching the stratosphere
was not enough to have a permanent colony of microbes there but with the
increasing global warming of its carbon molecules a threshold of amount of
molecules allows those fungus and bacteria species to make it their permanent
home and they will dutifully increase in population size.

Perhaps before 1950 those microbes only visited the stratosphere carried there
by violent winds on Earth surface, and those microbes never reproduced up there
but were waiting to fall back down to Earth as the report says that about a ton
of which falls to surface per day. Perhaps after 1950 with increasing global
warming that those microbes now want to live up there and establish it as their
home. So not only are they self transported by violent storms such as
hurricanes, tornadoes and even the occasional human travel vessel, but now
those microbes are multiplying themselves up there and are wishing to anchor
down on the stratosphere.

Perhaps some of the molecules provide just the right sort of anchor of the CFC
molecules or even the carbon dioxide molecules providing an anchor.

Perhaps what limited the microbes from making the stratosphere their home was
lack of anchors. But now with Global Warming increasing that the anchoring
molecules are present in abundance.

So maybe I am wasting my time in looking for a physical reflector for a Earth
AirConditioner Coolant. And maybe I am wasting my time in looking for a
CFC-variant molecule that will absorb sunlight and cool Earth to the
temperature we desire. Perhaps the microbes will self indulge and self
transport via violent storms and will make the stratosphere their home. This
will naturally cool Earth because if they flourish up there, we run the very
danger that they thrive too much and block too much sunlight from reaching
Earth's surface. If this pans out then humanity runs the risk of extinction or
else shuttle up to the stratosphere to scrub and clean away those pesky fungus
from blocking out too much sunlight.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:15:47 -0600 Archimedes Plutonium wrote:
(most snipped)

[...]

Now I wonder about the algae because they can multiply to clog up their home
domain. Some pools of water are choked when algae find favorable conditions.

Also fungus can get out of hand once favorable living conditions are found.

So has anyone discovered algae or prolific fungus in the stratosphere?

As the stratosphere becomes abundant with carbon compounds then perhaps a thriving
ecosystem may be borne utilizing the sunlight and carbon compounds.

Now I am not going to fan some science fiction horror tale of where people wake up
in year 2105 and find the Sun hidden or in a fog due to the stratosphere filled up
with fungus and algae, and who all knows what they would mutate into next.

But we should keep in mind that as we alter the upper atmosphere with our
pollution and exhaust of fossil fuels that we also open up a new frontier for life
to take establishment where it could not before.

Yes, in the past several years where I have tried to find a Coolant to make Earth
AirConditioner, it maybe all a waste of time if microbes themselves find the upper
atmosphere a new home ecosystem because if they do, then they automatically cool
Earth. And then we have a bizarre and nightmarish problem of trying to control
them, much as the fish in a aquarium trying to control the algae and plant life
that wants to choke the aquarium.

I think right away, the world science communities need a priority of observations
on microbes in the upper atmosphere. So far I see only a few reports in the past 7
years on this subject. But if microbes can multiply in the upper atmosphere, we
should be monitoring and observing the problem on a monthly basis instead of 7
years.

And we need to get the experts in microbes to find out if a microbe can live in
the upper atmosphere and multiply. This is a type of thing that can not wait for a
day in which the sky seems blackened or foggy and to find out that a colony of
microbes is multiplying in the upper atmosphere.

Old 11-01-2005, 03:08 PM

Archimedes Plutonium wrote:
[excision ... ]

I think as global warming increases that some scientists should be
embarking on a detailed research as to what organisms live in the

upper
atmosphere and whether they may pose a benefit or a future risk and
danger.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Yeah.

Microbes have already taken control.
Humanity's days are numbered.

...Mark (Hee hee ... not my fault/problem/concern;
I'm outta here :-)

Old 11-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Peter Jason

wrote in message
oups.com...

Archimedes Plutonium wrote:
[excision ... ]

I think as global warming increases that some scientists should be
embarking on a detailed research as to what organisms live in the

upper
atmosphere and whether they may pose a benefit or a future risk and
danger.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Yeah.

Microbes have already taken control.
Humanity's days are numbered.

..Mark (Hee hee ... not my fault/problem/concern;
I'm outta here :-)

Actually, trolls have takes control: yeah man!

Old 12-01-2005, 08:42 AM
Sean Houtman

Archimedes Plutonium wrote in
:

Now I wonder about the algae because they can multiply to clog up
their home domain. Some pools of water are choked when algae find
favorable conditions.

Also fungus can get out of hand once favorable living conditions
are found.

So has anyone discovered algae or prolific fungus in the
stratosphere?

As the stratosphere becomes abundant with carbon compounds then
perhaps a thriving ecosystem may be borne utilizing the sunlight
and carbon compounds.

One little problem with abundant life in the stratosphere is that
once something gets to a certain size, it will need to expend energy
in order to remain in the stratosphere. Big things tend to fall
unless they can fly.

Sean

Old 12-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:42:54 GMT Sean Houtman wrote:
(snip what I wrote)

One little problem with abundant life in the stratosphere is that
once something gets to a certain size, it will need to expend energy
in order to remain in the stratosphere. Big things tend to fall
unless they can fly.

Sean

I was thinking that they do not grow big in size but increase in
population. Nor are they connected as in a colony. I suppose fungus
would have the best chance of remaining up there permanently.

The only data I see is that 1 ton per day falls to the surface of the
bacteria species.

I cannot tell whether the bacteria species and fungus species were
carried by the wind up there accidentally and waiting to fall back to
Earth or whether some of those bacteria species and fungus species is
indigenous to the upper atmosphere and stratosphere. And whether any of
those species reproduces up there. Or whether they are all just
temporary travelers in the upper atmosphere and waiting to fall back to
Earth.

A lot of questions I need answering. But if any one of those bacteria or
fungus species is indigenous to the upper atmosphere and routinely
reproduce and multiply in numbers in the upper atmosphere would be great
cause for alarm to all surface creatures, because as the global warming
increases probably increases the favorability of the upper atmosphere to
make a home up there.

Oh, yes, they will cool Earth by absorbing and blocking alot of sunlight
from reaching the surface and will be an affective Earth AirConditioner
but then the huge problem looms as to whether we will have to expend
energy by going up there to clean up the stratosphere because too many
microbes are living and multiplying there. And if they mutate to the
extent that they multiply too fast, can risk the extinction of humanity
itself.

Has anyone computed how much carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide was in
the upper atmosphere during the Ice Ages compared to how much is up
there now during Global Warming? For perhaps these microbes have always
been travelers into the upper atmosphere but never able to make it a
ecosystem to live and multiply because not enough carbon dioxide and
carbon monoxide was present.

Old 13-01-2005, 05:31 AM
DESMODUS

Also did the plaque come in from the oceans ? as it has recently been
discoved that huge volumes of virus live at mis oceanic levels

Old 13-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Martin Cragg-Barber

Microbes have already taken control.
Humanity's days are numbered.

But I thought we were hotels for microbes anyway in the same way that
oaks are hotels for galling organisms.

--
Martin Cragg-Barber

Old 13-01-2005, 10:42 PM

In article , Martin Cragg-Barber writes:
Microbes have already taken control.
Humanity's days are numbered.

But I thought we were hotels for microbes anyway in the same way that
oaks are hotels for galling organisms.

Hotels, pantries, transportation systems. The last probably the most
useful (for microbes). Consider, 6 centuries ago it took the Black
Death nearly a generation to travel fro East Asia to Europe.
Nowadays, we can move diseases between continents in a matter of
days:-)

Mati Meron | "When you argue with a fool,
Old 14-01-2005, 12:57 AM

Martin Cragg-Barber wrote:
Microbes have already taken control.
Humanity's days are numbered.

But I thought we were hotels for microbes anyway in the same way that
oaks are hotels for galling organisms.

Actually, I think you're correct.

But who wants to admit we're
not "pure" (is that the correct
spelling, "pure", free from
impurities?).

...Mark (Is the US government insane, or
is it just those parts that listen to females?)

how much can plants absorb water from the atmosphere from humid days? [email protected] Plant Science 1 05-08-2008 11:33 AM
Shelf life of pond bacteria DavidM Ponds 13 02-05-2006 03:33 AM
Coolant Temp Sensor JJ Ponds 2 07-10-2003 04:22 AM
Coolant Temp Sensor JJ Ponds 0 07-10-2003 01:49 AM
Coolant Temp Sensor JJ Ponds 0 07-10-2003 01:43 AM