Old 20-02-2005, 03:06 AM
Salty Thumb

Default Tomatoes and Crop Rotation

"newsgroup" wrote in news:cv8mgr$4a1
@news.icubed.com:

That doesn't pass the common sense test, in my opinion; especially
considering that tomatoes are an annual, it makes sense that Nature and
humans rotate.

wrote in message
oups.com...
According to the book "Reader's Digest Organic Gardening for the 21st
Century," tomatoes should not be part of your crop rotation scheme and
should be left in the same bed year after year: "Tomatoes are
narcissistic and do not like to rotate." That hit me as strange, as I
thought tomatoes were fairly prone to soil-borne diseases and would
definitely benefit from regular crop rotation. Any comments from the
tomato gurus in the group?

-Fleemo

I am speculating, but it is possible that tomatoes, which aren't
aboriginally annual, make persistent modifications to their rhizosphere
in the form of complex root exudates which supercede any nutrient
replenishment benefit due to rotation. It could be that the persistence
is enough to provide an annual basal level of support (or protection)
which is not renewed if a different crop is planted or perhaps the effect
is compounded with each successive generation.

Perhaps someone in sci.bio.botany knows.
Old 20-02-2005, 03:32 AM
Jim Carlock

"newsgroup" wrote:
That doesn't pass the common sense test, in my opinion; especially
considering that tomatoes are an annual, it makes sense that Nature and
humans rotate.

I have four tomato plants growing in one pot. One fruited last month
and the tomato is doing getting nice and bigger. It looks like it might
have another 30 or 45 days left before it's ready to be pulled. The
pot is a rather small pot, but I haven't had this much success with
tomatoes planted in the sand/ground... g I do have a couple
other tomatoes growing but they are nowhere as nice as the four
that sit together in one small pot.

While one fruited and has ONE fairly good size tomato, the other
plants flowered and some really small fruits set up. They seem to
like the colder weather, versus hot weather. The vines seem to
droop if they are placed in the direct sun during the day. I guess
the temps are about 40 to 45 at night and 65 to 75 during the
day right now. I had the small pot indoors in a windowed sun
room for the longest time, before the plants became too big.
They are growing like vines! And there are quite a few very
small fruits set now. I'm guessing it takes about 2 to 3 months
for a tomato to grow to full ripeness... does that sound right?

And if they are annual I shouldn't expect any more tomatoes
until next year, right?

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to newsgroup.

Old 21-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Jim Carlock

I was wondering about rooting a tomato... I've had this stem
in a cup of water for about a week now and I don't see any
roots growing yet, so I decided it's time to look this up.

And I found the following...
This looks like some very interesting information...
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...vertomato.html

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to newsgroup.

Old 24-02-2005, 10:29 PM

In article ,
Jim Carlock wrote:
I was wondering about rooting a tomato... I've had this stem
in a cup of water for about a week now and I don't see any
roots growing yet, so I decided it's time to look this up.

Be patient. IME, tomatoes are as easy to root as geraniums or coleus
(i.e. dead easy). If you're keeping that cup of water on your
windowsill, note that this time of year it may be too cold there
for tropical plants like tomatoes to grow much, so it will take longer
than if you can keep the cuttings at summer temps.

And I found the following...
This looks like some very interesting information...
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...vertomato.html

This is an extremely cool document. (How to Grow the Tomato and 115 Ways
to Prepare it for the Table by George Washington Carver, 2nd edition 1936)

Crop rotation, following on, and compost Rhiannon Macfie Miller United Kingdom 1 17-07-2005 07:45 PM
Tomatoes and Crop Rotation [email protected] Gardening 12 26-02-2005 04:55 PM
crop rotation Jane VR Permaculture 2 05-05-2003 01:08 PM
Crop Rotation McGrew Brothers Farm sci.agriculture 3 26-04-2003 12:20 PM
crop rotation Jane VR Permaculture 2 03-04-2003 12:56 AM