GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   death or life of old lilac hedge (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/90510-death-life-old-lilac-hedge.html)

Archimedes Plutonium 05-03-2005 07:10 AM

death or life of old lilac hedge

This Winter and Spring I should have uncovered an old lilac hedge that
had been neglected for 10 years or more. It had many weed trees of elm,
mulberry and hackberry growing in them. What is left of the lilac seem
to be all old dead limbs. So by Spring I should have all the weed trees
removed and plan to chainsaw the lilac down to about 2 feet from the
ground.

I am hoping that the chainsawing of these dead branches will excite the
root system of any live lilac. Some of the branches still show green
cambium layer so that is a good sign there is still life but others seem
to be all dead branches.

So I have a few questions for anyone who has had experience with
neglected lilac. Whether they can recover. And how much neglect does it
take to actually kill lilac hedges as weed trees grow in them.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies