GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   goldfish over winter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/108248-re-goldfish-over-winter.html)

G Underwood 20-10-2005 11:34 PM

goldfish over winter

"G Underwood" wrote in message news:...
Hi Charlie.
im in Bristol and ive just stopped feeding now.Ive cleaned out the pump

and
turned it down so as not to disturb the warmer water at the bottom of the
pond,but enough to keep the filter "ticking over".
I think I read somewhere that you could put a sheet of polythene over the
pond to help keep the frosts out(not sure if that's true though).
good luck with the fish.
"G.M." wrote in message
Stop feeding any time now. With mild winters and that depth, the water
will not freeze to the bottom. If you get a real cold spell, boil some
water in a pot or kettle and place the vessel on the ice to thaw out a
hole. You may have to do this more than once to get free water. Do not
pour the hot water on the ice.
Gene

Charlie Brown wrote:
Hi

I moved into this house a few months ago and inherited a pond with

about
20
goldfish in it. the pond is about 12" deep 20' long and 6' wide, it

is
quarter filled with lilies and other plants.
I do not have a clue of how to look after them properly, they are

lovely
look at and I would be hurt if anything happened to them. I read that

should stop feeding them from November to April, is that correct? I

am
so
busy dealing with urgent repairs that I have not got round to the fish

yet,
the place is so overgrown that I cannot even find the pump. Apart

from
finding more time, what is the best thing I can start with? I live in

the
south of England and we have very mild winters generally.

Regards

Charlie