Old 13-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Steve

Default Feeding fish

I'm still feeding my fish due to the mild weather for this time of year in
the UK. They don't seem too bothered when I throw the food in, so I only do
it once or twice a week. Should I be doing it more often or not at all
until next summer?

I've also heard that a ball of some kind in the water will provide them a
vent for oxygen should the water freeze. Is this true?

Many thanks,

Steve

Old 14-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Andy Lee

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:37:03 GMT, "Steve" wrote:

I'm still feeding my fish due to the mild weather for this time of year in
the UK. They don't seem too bothered when I throw the food in, so I only do
it once or twice a week. Should I be doing it more often or not at all
until next summer?

I've also heard that a ball of some kind in the water will provide them a
vent for oxygen should the water freeze. Is this true?

Many thanks,

Steve

Steve if they dont eat the food in around 5-10 mins dont bother with
it. Since last nights first frost of the year here in the midlands I
wont chuck any food in my ponds untill march next year. The idea of
the ball is to provide a spot that if the pond freezes you can just
pull the ball out to give a hole for the pond to "breathe" Never tried
it myself as it would have to freeze pretty bad for mine to go solid,
as I tend to leave my main filters running year round.
Old 15-11-2005, 09:44 PM
G Underwood

Hi Steve.I usually only feed my koi and goldfish wheatgerm every couple of
days this time of year when the weather gets colder.
Ive read that when it drops to below 4 degrees,stop feeding altogether,as
their metabolism drops so low that they do not need any food,also any
uneaten food would fall to the bottom of the pond and maybe pollute the
water.
I keep my filter running throughout the winter,but turned the flow down,so
its just "ticking over".

winter feeding fish *muffin* Ponds 4 18-10-2003 03:12 PM
Feeding fish: surface vs. deep JGW Ponds 6 09-09-2003 12:09 AM
Feeding fish John Rutz Ponds 16 15-05-2003 05:08 AM
Feeding fish in planted tank Artur Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:24 AM
Feeding fish in planted tank Artur Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 11-03-2003 06:45 PM