Old 04-01-2006, 12:26 AM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
wruess

Default Electric Fence

I have decided to put up some kind of electric fence around my pond to keep
out otters (mainly) and other koi predators if necessary. I have seen ads
for a couple of products by Fi Shock - specifically the 'Pond Guardian' kit
and another similar kit with straight poles marketed as a 'small animal'
fence. Does anyone have any specific experience with either of these or any
other similar product, specifically with respect to their effectiveness as
an otter deterrant. Thanks

Old 22-01-2006, 06:07 AM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Clurrie

wruess wrote:
I have decided to put up some kind of electric fence around my pond to keep
out otters (mainly) and other koi predators if necessary. I have seen ads
for a couple of products by Fi Shock - specifically the 'Pond Guardian' kit
and another similar kit with straight poles marketed as a 'small animal'
fence. Does anyone have any specific experience with either of these or any
other similar product, specifically with respect to their effectiveness as
an otter deterrant. Thanks

I have an electric fence (like they sell at agricultural supply houses)
which I bought and use for keeping domestic animals inside an area but
also use to keep out predator from areas where we pen in chickens.
Before, I had lots of trouble with racoons, etc. eating our birds, but
in the 6 or so years we've had the electrical fence, we've lost none to
predators...

I use the poly-wire (several strands of poly twine with a few aluminum
or,in the better type, stainless stell wire strands within). I lay one
about 4 inches above ground, on plastic or wood stakes (with plastic
insulators). Not unsightly if done right, and once they've had a jolt
or two of the 5000 volts pulsing though the wire, predators go elsewhere
for lunch....

I use a fencer that is powered by 110 line current and animals get so
used to it, they'll respect it for days even if the current's off...

Clurrie

"A pond is a hole full of water you can dream by."

Electric Fence to keep Groudhogs Out ---Pete--- Edible Gardening 6 12-05-2007 08:26 AM
Electric Fence in winter Cam Ponds 11 11-11-2004 05:10 PM
Electric Fence Recommendations Doug Kanter Gardening 32 25-09-2004 04:39 PM
Electric Fence Recomm THURSTON ACKERMAN Gardening 0 23-09-2004 10:37 PM
electric fence for ponds? Fish tales Ponds 6 10-04-2004 12:32 AM