GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   Population explosion (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/13948-population-explosion.html)

~Kathy~ 06-04-2003 09:56 AM

Population explosion

Hello - I haven't posted here before :)

I have a 500 litre pond, and the resident goldfish did not spawn until
recently after I added a significant amount of plants.

At the moment the babies vary in size from about half to three-quarters of
an inch.

The adults are about 4-6 inches in length and there would be about 10 of
them, nearly all are 'gold' fish, one is white, one is speckled, one is
black. Please forgive the non-expert descriptions.

Anyway, most of the young are black, a couple are gold.

My question is, what should I expect given that there seem to be about 50 or
more tiny fish in the pond? My concerns are over-crowding primarily.

I live in Australia - in case anyone is wondering why my fish are breeding
now.

Any information/advice welcome.

Kathy

Jerrispond 12-04-2003 01:32 PM

Population explosion

Anyway, most of the young are black, a couple are gold.My question is, what
should I expect given that there seem to be about 50 ormore tiny fish in the
pond? My concerns are over-crowding primarily.

All babies are born black...some change at about a 1/2 inch others don't change
for 2 years. I have a few shubunkin that will never change from black. Unles
you are lucky enough to get a bullfrog, or snake to move in and thin them out,
you will have to cull them yourself. .....sad job, but maybe you can give them
to the neighbors. Jerri

pondnovice 08-08-2003 10:03 PM

I too am new to this site (Arkansas, USA). This is my first summer for my pond and am thrilled that my shubunkins have decided to have babies. I am also wondering what to expect as far as rate of growth, survival chances, etc. Do I stand a fair chance (all other things being equal such as water quality, etc) of having any survive to be good sized fish? I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'm curious about what my success rate might be.

Jerrispond 15-08-2003 02:45 AM

Population explosion

This is my first summer for
my pond and am thrilled that my shubunkins have decided to have babies.
Do I stand a fair chance (all other things being equalsuch as water quality,

etc) of having any survive to be good sizedfish?

In 2 years you will be BEGGING people to take some away....I promise :o)
Jerri

pondnovice 07-11-2003 06:31 PM

Population explosion

Quote:

Originally posted by Jerrispond
This is my first summer for
my pond and am thrilled that my shubunkins have decided to have babies.
Do I stand a fair chance (all other things being equalsuch as water quality,

etc) of having any survive to be good sizedfish?

In 2 years you will be BEGGING people to take some away....I promise :o)
Jerri

You called that one right -- I already am beggin for people to take some!!