Old 27-04-2006, 04:23 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat,rec.ponds
Dave

Default UK pond problem

We recently moved into this house and "inherited" what could be a nice
little pond. Trouble is, the previous owner hasn't cleaned it out or done
anything to it since about July last year and it's a right mess of dead
plants and blanketweed, but also now getting new growth on plants as well.

It really needs a good cleanout but the fish all seem healthy and happy and
there are also frogs and tadpoles living in there as well - in fact, I think
it's because the tadpoles have found some great places to hide that they are
still alive and we don't want to disturb them.

What's the best option - clean up and disturb the wildlife, hoping they'll
settle down again or just leave well alone?

Some photo's here (each about 1Mb in size so anyone on dial-up rather than
broadband, beware):

www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/IMGP1190.JPG (a frog popped it's head up for this
shot)
www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/IMGP1191.JPG
www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/IMGP1192.JPG
www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/IMGP1193.JPG
www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/IMGP1194.JPG
www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/IMGP1195.JPG
www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/IMGP1196.JPG
www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/IMGP1197.JPG
www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/IMGP1198.JPG
www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/IMGP1199.JPG

Thanks,

Dave.

Old 27-04-2006, 04:40 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat,rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Dave" wrote in message
We recently moved into this house and "inherited" what could be a nice
little pond. Trouble is, the previous owner hasn't cleaned it out or done
anything to it since about July last year and it's a right mess of dead
plants and blanketweed, but also now getting new growth on plants as well.

=====================
*Note: There are TWO Koi-Lo's on this NG*

If you don't want to disturb the wildlife in the pond you can always remove
the dead plants. Remove the blanket weed by hand and start doing small water
changes to remove the dissolved solids and other unwanted substances in the
water. Carefully net out dead leaves. What I would do is remove all the
fish, frogs and tads to a small child's pool from the Variety store and
clean the whole thing out. Keep them in 3/4 water from the pond, 1/4 clean
dechlorinated water until you're finished. Use a dechlorinator/Chloramine
remover and put them all back. Watch the ammonia level - it may not spike -
it doesn't when I clean out one of my ponds. All I do is rinse the filter
when I do a clean-out so it still has most of it's needed bacteria.

Sorry, your pics were too large for me to view.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 27-04-2006, 04:52 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat,rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Just use a stick of TNT, and be done with it......... or wait until
folks like Jan or Dr. Solo or Snooze and a few others besides CArol
aka Koi-Lo gives you proper info..........
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 09:40:45 -0500, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Frugal ponding since 1982.
Aquariums since 1956.
Some assholes Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
*Note: There are several *Koi-Lo's* on rec.ponds.
But, I am the one and only original Koi-Lo.
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o
Old 27-04-2006, 05:43 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat,rec.ponds

you need at least two tubs. one pretty large for the fish. start by pumping water
into the tubs. drop an airstone into the one where the fish will be held. put a bird
net or something over the fish tub to make sure they dont jump.
start draining the rest of the pond. carefully remove plant containers. rinse those
off, trim them and set into the tubs. dont stir up the bottom of the pond or muck up
the water.
there is simply no point in chasing fish thru a dirty pond. they just get stressed
and the stirred up crap in the pond usually has all kinds of anaerobic gases. if you
can get your hands on some PP
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/d....htm#POTASSIUM
that is even better cause it neutralizes toxic gases.
once you can see the fish are nearly on their sides start picking them up by slipping
a plastic bag over them... they usually cannot see something clear coming. move the
fish into the tubs. then look for the tadpoles and frogs, move those into the other
tub, make sure there is something for the frogs to sit on.
continue removing whatever you find alive in the pond.
when the water is gone or the pump clogs continually, whichever comes first, use a
PLASTIC snow shovel to start shoveling the muck out of the pond. now this stuff is
pretty right in fertilizer so it can be poured onto plant gardens or veggies.
rinse the sides of the pond, but DONT SCRUB to remove the last of the muck.
Now start refilling the pond. try to match the temperature of the new water to the
old, be sure to have the dechlor in the pond when you start refiling it. rather than
just running the water into the pond it aerates it by shooting it up in the air and
let it fall into the pond. when the pond is half way filled start putting the plants
and tads and frogs back in. last move the fish back in.
If the water temp of the new water is too cold it will shock the fish. better to
only partially refill the pond with warmer water and put the water on a very slow
dribble for the next couple days. be sure to keep adding dechlor to the pond to
neutralize chlorine/chloramine if you arent on well water. Ingrid

"Dave" wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 27-04-2006, 08:57 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat,rec.ponds
Dave

wrote in message
[...]

Thanks very much to all who've taken time to reply. You've given some sound
advice and I'm hoping to get things done over this weekend so, once again,
thanks.

Dave.