Old 11-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Registered User

Default using carpet to line a pond

I'm about to install a pond and have heard that some people use a special fabric layer on the soil, before they put the liner down. Apparently it stops little stones sticking through. I just happen to have a load of oold carpet and the underlay that I have taken out of the house when a wooden flor was layed. I was wondering whether this would be ok. I could put down both the carpet and the underlay for extra cushioning. What I need to know is would the carpet begin to smell once it got damp. The last thing I want to do is have a terrinble smell coming from around the pond once it is all fitted and then the nightmare of having to get it all out.
Old 13-05-2006, 12:45 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Dean A. Markley

seneca wrote:
I'm about to install a pond and have heard that some people use a
special fabric layer on the soil, before they put the liner down.
Apparently it stops little stones sticking through. I just happen to
have a load of oold carpet and the underlay that I have taken out of
the house when a wooden flor was layed. I was wondering whether this
would be ok. I could put down both the carpet and the underlay for
extra cushioning. What I need to know is would the carpet begin to
smell once it got damp. The last thing I want to do is have a terrinble
smell coming from around the pond once it is all fitted and then the
nightmare of having to get it all out.

Nah, you should be OK with that. Just make sure you backfill and have
all the edges of the carpet covered. By the way, I actually purchased
that cheap outdoor carpet for my pond. Works well.

Dean
Old 13-05-2006, 02:08 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Carolyn LeCrone

"Dean A. Markley" wrote in message
. ..
seneca wrote:
[...]

We used old carpet and completely covered it by the liner. We went to a
carpet store and they let us use the stuff in their dumpster.
Carolyn

Old 13-05-2006, 11:00 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Dean A. Markley

seneca wrote:

[...]

Now you tell me!!! LOL, I only spent $20 but I'll remember that next
time! Thanks!

Dean

Using old carpet as a weed mat Claude Australia 3 09-01-2007 02:08 AM
using carpet to line a pond seneca Ponds 5 13-05-2006 04:06 AM
Old carpet for pond underlayment Harriett Wright Ponds 20 24-10-2004 08:36 AM
* FREE * Classified Ads for Vacuums ,Carpet Cleaning equipment, and Carpet Cleaning Vans and Vehicles Classifieds Webmaster Lawns 1 19-08-2004 01:43 PM
"Left wing kookiness", and dissembling carpet-munchers Jonathan Ball Gardening 0 18-12-2003 09:42 PM