Old 25-05-2006, 04:50 AM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Michelle Bailey

Default snakes and frogs

I knew our water garden had frogs and a lot of tadpoles. Yesterday saw a
snake. I realize that the frogs are a food source for the snakes. So,
we're draining, killing snakes, cleaning and refilling. But how do we not
repeat the pattern? Is there a way to repel frogs and snakes but not harm
dogs and cats? Snake-A-Way is toxic to dogs and cats. We used it but have
locked up the pets and will have to wash out the product before letting them
back out. Don't have fish.

Thanks
Michelle

Old 29-05-2006, 02:54 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Naomi

I would love it if the frogs in my pond also attracted snakes. The more
wildlife the better.

"Michelle Bailey" wrote in message
I knew our water garden had frogs and a lot of tadpoles. Yesterday saw a
snake. I realize that the frogs are a food source for the snakes. So,
we're draining, killing snakes, cleaning and refilling. But how do we not
repeat the pattern? Is there a way to repel frogs and snakes but not harm
dogs and cats? Snake-A-Way is toxic to dogs and cats. We used it but have
locked up the pets and will have to wash out the product before letting
them back out. Don't have fish.

Thanks
Michelle

I would love it if the frogs in my pond also attracted snakes. The more
wildlife the better.
Doesn't help you of course, so apologies there.

Nao

Old 30-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Registered User

Hello Michelle,

I don't know where you are posting from. If you are in the uk then the only snales that would be attracted to frogs and ponds are grass snakes, which are both harmless, and I believe protected by law. In which case leave them alone and take pleasure in their presence

If you are in a country with a richer reptile fauna (like the USA) then it is possible that the pond the snakes are not harmless. Having said that the majority of snakes ARE harmless, and there are American cousins to the European grass snake, as well as plenty of other semi-aquatic species that are as safe as the frogs (but quieter in the evenings). Rather than go through all the hassle of draining, putting out toxic products etc first find out what kind of snake you saw - innocent until proven guilty.

I wish I had snakes and frogs in my garden. I suspect if I tried introducing them the local cats would have them pretty quick.

best wishes

Edward

Old 30-08-2006, 10:02 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat

Edward.....

Please see my post called "Bullfrogs".... thanks

"Edward H" wrote in message

Hello Michelle,

best wishes

Edward