Old 05-06-2006, 07:49 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Pete Thomas

Default Tadpoles not growing into frogs

Hi all, I'm new to this group.

I recently moved and started a wildlife pond. I "borrowed" some
frogspawn, the tadpoles hatched but it looks like none of them are
growing legs. My previous wildlife pond just down the road in the same
locality (Southampton UK) had plenty of tadpoles turning into frogs and
newts breeding successfully.

This pond is new. I dug it in October last year, about 3ft deep and 6
feet across (100 gallons or so). I filled it with about half rainwater
from a butt and half tapwater with conditioner which had a few months to
condition before adding the spawn in Feb.

My wife thinks they may be just turning into frogs and sneaking off
before I see them, but I find this unlikely as I check the pond nearly
every day and in the past I've always seen the little fellows getting
legs gradually - it takes a few weeks so I'd see them.

I heard somewhere that there is something (or maybe lack of something)
that can cause tadpoles to not mature, can anyone help?

--
Pete Thomas - www.petethomas.co.uk
***********
Old 08-06-2006, 07:00 AM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Lar

In article , invalid@reply-via-
site.com says...
[...]

In your older pond did you notice frogs the first year it was in or
could the frogs you saw be actually from tadpoles from the previous
year. In mine I have been watching the development of tadpoles into
toads and have been seeing numerous ones with back legs but no front
legs, then one evening looked down and saw a dozen or so tiny toads. So
maybe some are developing and sneaking away. Hmm timely, my daughter
placed a tadpole in a goldfish bowl a few weeks ago and came in here
excitedly she has a tiny toad now.
--
Lar
Old 08-06-2006, 07:33 AM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Dribbler

"Pete Thomas" wrote in message
[...]

Hello Pete,
Myself and three other pond owners in Buckinghamshire (UK) have the same
thing you describe. We have plenty of tadpoles and yet only a minority have
grown very small front legs (or are they gills?). They are a healthy size
but they all seem to have stopped growing and have stayed at the same
size/developmental stage for eight weeks or more.
My extent of my knowledge of tadpoles is from thirty plus years ago in the
classroom tank, but I'm sure they grew quicker than that! Maybe with age
comes impatience....

Dribbler

Old 09-06-2006, 05:39 AM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Jeanne

I added a string of eggs, which hatched to tadpoles, which grew legs, the
frogs hopped out and sat on the bank, and every one was soon picked off by
jays... Watch out for jays....

Old 09-06-2006, 11:13 AM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Dribbler

"Jeanne" wrote in message

I added a string of eggs, which hatched to tadpoles, which grew legs, the
frogs hopped out and sat on the bank, and every one was soon picked off by
jays... Watch out for jays....

That is horrible for you Jeanne. How awful to watch them get to that stage
only to be picked off.
In the UK we don't have Blue Jays but during my time spent living in the
USA, along with humming birds they were my favourite to watch with all their
antics.
I don't think we have any birds here who would threaten the frogs, unless
anyone knows different?

Dribbler

Old 11-06-2006, 06:46 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Pete Thomas

Dribbler wrote:
"Jeanne" wrote in message
I added a string of eggs, which hatched to tadpoles, which grew legs, the
frogs hopped out and sat on the bank, and every one was soon picked off by
jays... Watch out for jays....

That is horrible for you Jeanne. How awful to watch them get to that stage
only to be picked off.
In the UK we don't have Blue Jays but during my time spent living in the
USA, along with humming birds they were my favourite to watch with all their
antics.
I don't think we have any birds here who would threaten the frogs, unless
anyone knows different?

Crows would possible get small frogs.

Owls?

Old 11-06-2006, 06:48 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Pete Thomas

Lar wrote:
[...]

Today I found a teeny frog under a stone, so they've been sneaking out
really quickly.

Time for newts now.

Old 13-06-2006, 05:18 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
John

I would have thought little frogs would have made a nice snack for many
predators in including magpies, robins, herons, gulls, blackbirds, crows,
rooks, foxes, badgers, stoats.... its a wonder any survive.

Old 21-06-2006, 10:48 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
amanda

i'm new at all of this gardening stuff. but we have a small pond in our
front yard and it seems like everytime we get some rain the frogs
comeout and long story short we all are unable to sleep at nite cause
of all the noise. Do you know of anything that could hlep keep them
away so that we can sleep. I know of several things to do for
mosquetoes but i dont have a clue when it comes to frogs.

amanda

Old 21-06-2006, 11:28 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas wrote:
[...]

I can understand the confusion, but actually this thread is about trying
to get frogs, not get rid of them.

Old 22-06-2006, 11:25 AM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
si

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 10:13:26 +0100, "Dribbler"
wrote:

"Jeanne" wrote in message

I added a string of eggs, which hatched to tadpoles, which grew legs, the
frogs hopped out and sat on the bank, and every one was soon picked off by
jays... Watch out for jays....

That is horrible for you Jeanne. How awful to watch them get to that stage
only to be picked off.
In the UK we don't have Blue Jays but during my time spent living in the
USA, along with humming birds they were my favourite to watch with all their
antics.
I don't think we have any birds here who would threaten the frogs, unless
anyone knows different?

Dribbler

We get Jays here in the south of England, but our pond is surrounded
by plenty of cover and they don't seem make much impact.

What a life for a small frog! You finally lose your tail, crawl out of
your pond, full of hope with a whole world to explore...

Then Splat!
Old 13-07-2006, 06:09 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Cally

Default Tadpoles not growing into frogs - Legless Tadploes

wrote:

Pete Thomas wrote:
[...]

WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO GET RID OF THEM!!! - FOOLS

I am having the same problem my pond, which is now 3 years old, had
more frogs spawning than ever before this spring, and they were at it
for weeks, yet my tadpoles are not developing any legs - none - not
even thinking about it - I have had a chat with them (the tadpoles)
about it but it hasn't made any difference!!
Now my mum who lives 5 miles away her tadpoles are already growing into
little frogletts and some of them are already leaving home.

My pond has been build solely for - frogs, toads and newts - it
does not have any fish in it. It has sun and shade, plants and looking
at last years calendar the tads had legs this time last year - what
could have happened?

Why are my tadpoles legless??

Does anyone have any advice?? Please - Thanks

Old 13-07-2006, 09:03 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
sandra2

Hi
I've been looking at the replies here, but no one seems to know the
answer(including me).
I have the same problem. I've had my pond for four years plenty of frog
spawn but no frogs. I still have tadpoles in there from months ago. My
son says they are retarded and fit in well with the rest of the family.
I talk to them regularly and give encouragement but they seem happy as
they are, just chilling as they say. Is there any real reason for this
apart from just being lazy.
Sandra

Tadpoles not growing legs stella @ stejonda United Kingdom 14 21-05-2006 11:46 AM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 08:06 PM
Cicadas, Frogs and Gigantic Tadpoles Benign Vanilla Ponds 1 15-06-2004 05:05 AM
Tadpoles and Frogs/Toads MLF Ponds 3 09-06-2003 02:44 AM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 07:20 PM