GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   War boatmen (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/147276-war-boatmen.html)

Quilljar 02-07-2006 02:15 PM

War boatmen

Today, I observed the water boatmen in our small garden pond raft up in a
kind of star shape. I have never seen this behaviour before, and I wonder if
anyone could explain it to me?
Here is a photo. The actual insects are about one centimetre long.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60022413uWvwBn

--
Cheers Quilly

For four good books to read look at...
http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/covers.htm
Buy three or four altogether and get economy postage.

Rodney Pont 02-07-2006 04:56 PM

War boatmen

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 14:15:55 +0100, Quilljar wrote:

Today, I observed the water boatmen in our small garden pond raft up in a
kind of star shape. I have never seen this behaviour before, and I wonder if
anyone could explain it to me?
Here is a photo. The actual insects are about one centimetre long.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60022413uWvwBn

It's not a water boatman it's a pond skater:
http://www.arkive.org/species/ARK/in...ris_lacustris/

This is a water boatman:
http://www.naturegrid.org.uk/biodive...boatman,l.html

We have a few pond skaters on the pond but I've never seen them make a raft like that.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

sally 02-07-2006 06:31 PM

War boatmen

Thank-you for that. So pond skaters eh? They still look intruiging as a
raft. They held it for some minutes but when I phographed them they
dispersed. I wonder if Glbert White has anything to say about this?

Quilljar

Lar 06-07-2006 03:57 AM

War boatmen

In article , wykehill-
says...
:) Today, I observed the water boatmen in our small garden pond raft up in a
:) kind of star shape. I have never seen this behaviour before, and I wonder if
:) anyone could explain it to me?
:) Here is a photo. The actual insects are about one centimetre long.
:)
:)
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60022413uWvwBn
:)
:)
two guesses...1 a female has released a pheromone that attracted a mass
of suitors in which one will begin mating..or two under the mass is a
large insect/dead fish they are mass feeding on, but I don't think I
have heard of adults doing that where as the first couple of instars
will. Here is a page of a guy who probably could answer your question
better...scroll down the page to get his email.
http://www.ebc.uu.se/zooeko/GoranA/GA1.html
--
Lar

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Quilljar 06-07-2006 10:48 AM

War boatmen

Thank you Lar,
I have emaailed Dr Arnqvist right away