Old 11-07-2006, 10:09 AM
GDD GDD is offline
Registered User

Default Invasive water weed

I got it when I bought some water lilies, didn't seem that bad until yesterday when I tugged at it and the whole entire pond moved at the same time.

I chopped some of it out and moved the rest within the pond to allow the water lily to flower.

Obviously the difficulty is damselfly eggs, sporn, tadpoles the lot...

Should I just try and keep an eye on it.

discript: its dark green linear, with leaf throngs at regular intervals, smells salty
Old 13-07-2006, 07:49 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
sandra2

Hi
I have the same problem with water weed. Mine is light green with very
small white flowers. I bought it as an oxygenater, but it's taken
over the pond. If I try to remove it everything in the pond comes out
with it. I''ve tried swearing at it but that does not work for some
reason. The only thing I can do is keep cutting it back.

Old 16-07-2006, 04:01 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Nick Byford

I too have sworn quite a bit and very colourfully too, often making up new
words when others haven't worked or stringing the swearwords together to
form new and exciting ones. The latter turn the air blue and cause
spontaneous lightening strikes, but do nothing to the pond weed.

I have found that cutting back is the only way that really works.

We have this problem with Canadian pond weed which we bought as an
oxygenator and needs fairly severe cutting back on a regular basis.
Although we have a fairly capacious pond in our garden, for the job the weed
does, it's worthwhile time spent cutting it back, although I have been told
I look like Wallace in the wrong trousers when I step into my waders!

We don't want to get rid of it as it provides useful shade to the fish, who
seem to spend hours playing hide and seek with one another within the
copious mass.

Check out pictures and you'll see what I mean. Go to www.pennix.co.uk for
information on this and other rivetting snippets on our garden and pond.

oups.com...

Old 21-07-2006, 08:33 AM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Nick Byford

You could, but then I think it's a case of money versus time.

You could spend a lot of time digging over, but then you would also need to
reseed the lawn anyway and might not completely clear the problem. Whilst I
don't entirely agree with the use of chemicals, you may be better served
getting one of those weed and feed products. They will help to stimulate
the grass (also feed it of course) and get rid of the moss and weeds. The
latter costs probably more than the grass seeds, but takes less time and
effort.

By the way, you'll need to keep these products away from the pond - the fish
and other aquatic whatnots won't like it.

"sandra2" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi
Loved your useful info. I am fairly new to gardening and any help is
much appreciated. My front lawn is full of weeds( it would take me a
year to dig them up) and ant hills. Bearing in mind I have a limited
garden fund, do I have to dig it all up and start again?

Old 21-07-2006, 07:10 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
sandra2

Thanks for the advice Nick. I'll try the weed and feed. The pond is in
the back garden so thats no problem. I was able to just dig out the
weeds there as there wasn't so many.
Sandra