Old 22-07-2006, 10:05 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Bill

Default water wheel

I would like to build a water wheel with the water running in to my fish
pond. Would it be ok to use aluminium

Old 28-07-2006, 10:36 AM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat

Bill wrote:
I would like to build a water wheel with the water running in to my fish
pond. Would it be ok to use aluminium

http://www.wetpets.com/equip_pond.html

6) Do not use copper, brass, aluminum, pressure treated wood, lead,
zinc or galvanized products under, in, or above the water.

Safer to use wood or plastic I would think.

--
Pete Thomas - www.petethomas.co.uk
***********
Old 19-09-2006, 03:28 AM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat

Bill wrote:
I would like to build a water wheel with the water running in to my fish
pond. Would it be ok to use aluminium

Aluminium is quite toxic to aquatic life. If you wish, you can use
plastics such as PVC, etc. These can be welded using a soldering gun
and shaped by heating with a propane torch. I often build things of PVC
cut from drainage pipe (the white kind often used for country drain
fields). I cut a meter (or less) long piece length wise, heat it to
soften and flatten it out between two boards. I then cut pieces out of
the rectangle formed and weld them together, using fine scraps as
filler. You'd be suprised what I've built with it. It is inert, strong
and easy to work with.

Clurrie
"A pond is a hole in the ground in which you find contentment"

Water wheel? Bill Stock Ponds 4 15-09-2006 12:29 AM
Water wheel Bill Ponds (alternative) 0 14-09-2005 08:19 AM
Need help finding a Henri water wheel. Lighted water wheel DD DDD Ponds 0 19-08-2005 04:34 AM
Where to get a colored water wheel light for Henri fountain head DD DDD Ponds 0 19-08-2005 04:31 AM