GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   using tiles instead of a pond liner (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/147992-using-tiles-instead-pond-liner.html)

Derek 23-07-2006 12:41 PM

using tiles instead of a pond liner

I have a square double-brick-built area (5' x 4' x 2'6" deep)
in the middle of my patio that until last week surrounded a
large hazelnut tree. The tree and its surrounding soil has
been removed, and I want to use the use the space for a
raised pond. Being that the walls are flat and even, and the
floor is now cemented flat I was wondering whether it
would be a good idea to tile the interior instead of using a
pond liner. Does anyone here have any experience of
using tiles instead of a pond liner, or can advise on what
tiles and materials I should use?

Nick Byford 25-07-2006 11:59 AM

using tiles instead of a pond liner

I'm not sure you'd want to.

If you leave a swimming pool, the algae builds up, forming a green cast to
the tiles therein. This can be scrubbed off, but the grout will usually
discolour permanently.

Ponds cannot have the chlorine additive that a swimming pool would and so
the discolouration and algae build up will probably be of concern and will
create a lot of work keeping clean.

In the winter, you may experience trouble with the walls/floor due to
freezing, although at 2'6", the shouldn't be too much of a problem.

My advice would be to use a liner. They can be bought in many colours and
are easy to change and look after. They have a greater resillience to the
changes in the weather and will last up to 25 years - maybe more. I'm not
sure that can be said for tiles (check out some bathrooms.....)

Nick Byford
www.pennix.co.uk

That's my advice

Quilljar 25-07-2006 04:21 PM

using tiles instead of a pond liner

I would be inclined to throw enough earth into the corners to round it out
and then line it. There can be no advatage in having a dirty swimming pool
instead of a clean pond. :-)

Cheers Quilly

For four good books to read look at...
http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/covers.htm
Buy three or four altogether and get economy postage.

Derek[_2_] 30-07-2006 10:19 AM

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:59:59 +0100, "Nick Byford" wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I'll go along with that. I'm thinking of using standard loft insulation
strips underneath it instead of sand for protection against the walls and to
help keep the pond from freezing over. Is this a good idea or should I use
the sand? I'm not sure that the sand would stay in place (upright) against
the walls when I'm placing and filling the liner.

.. .

Pete Thomas 30-07-2006 07:20 PM

"Derek" wrote in message
I have a square double-brick-built area (5' x 4' x 2'6" deep)
in the middle of my patio that until last week surrounded a
large hazelnut tree. The tree and its surrounding soil has
been removed, and I want to use the use the space for a
raised pond. Being that the walls are flat and even, and the
floor is now cemented flat I was wondering whether it
would be a good idea to tile the interior instead of using a
pond liner. Does anyone here have any experience of
using tiles instead of a pond liner, or can advise on what
tiles and materials I should use?

It won't stop the pond from freezing. Heat from the water will be lost
upwards, not into the ground which will be warmer than the air.

Sand stays in place, pack it in slightly wet of course. It's a much more
environmentally friendly substance, all kingd of wildlife will be living
in the ground round the pond, worms, newts, beetle larvae etc. I don't
think they will get on well with rockwool or fibreglass.

--
Pete Thomas - www.petethomas.co.uk