GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   Help! My performed pond is floating! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/14805-help-my-performed-pond-floating.html)

Amy 13-04-2003 07:56 PM

Help! My performed pond is floating!

I created a raised garden in my yard and put a small 80 gallon
preformed pond in it. I packed topsoil all around it as I filled it
with water. This all worked great until I turned the drip system in
the garden on. The pond just floated up out of the hole!! Are there
any suggestions as to how to correct this? Can I put the pond in with
concrete around it? Please help!!
Thanks,
Amy

Springworks 23-04-2003 02:20 AM

Help! My performed pond is floating!

Your water table is very high it seems...You can either install it as a
raised pond above ground or install a French Drain under it to funnel the
water away from it..(doesn't seem large enough to install a sump pump under
it)...Did you encounter a lot of clay? Water while digging? Is it on a
slope? This is like putting your pond in a big bowl, the ground water can't
seep out fast enough...Like a ship floats...As long as it displaces more
water than it weighs, it will float..I've seen much larger ponds
float......What a sight (and mess)....Ever seen a gas station with big
bulges in the parking lot? The tanks are trying to float from ground
water....