Old 04-08-2006, 05:14 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat

Default old pond, old pump

Hi

I have just bought a house with a fairly small pond 15ftx6ftx2ft and a
couple dozen goldfish in it. I have cleared out a lot of plants and
sludge - I don't think the pond has been cleaned for years (it is lined). I
found a OASE Aquarius 2500 pump in the bottom. Can anybody tell me what
this is? Is it a filter? What can I do next to help the fish?

I have kept tank fish before and know how dirty the bottom can get and I am
worried that the pond may need cleaning urgently

Thanks

Charlie Brown

Old 04-08-2006, 08:19 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat

"Charlie Brown" wrote in message
Hi

I have just bought a house with a fairly small pond 15ftx6ftx2ft and a
couple dozen goldfish in it. I have cleared out a lot of plants and
sludge - I don't think the pond has been cleaned for years (it is lined).

found a OASE Aquarius 2500 pump in the bottom. Can anybody tell me what
this is? Is it a filter? What can I do next to help the fish?

I have kept tank fish before and know how dirty the bottom can get and I

am
worried that the pond may need cleaning urgently

Thanks

Charlie Brown

The OASE 2500 pump, is exactly that, a pump. Does it pump to anything? If
so, does the anything it pumps to, return anywhere in the pond?

If there is no filter system attached to this pump, then I suggest you get
one. We use a Biotec 10 and that has mechanical filters (sponges) and can
also have a bio filter added too. They are expensive I suppose, but it
depends whether you wnat to keep the fish or what.

Although golfish are pretty hardy, they do respond well to clean water and
the filter will help.

The pond filter will get rid of all the fish pooh that has built up and help
to clean the water and make it all nice and clear again.

We have tended towards OASE products but only because we have neary 200 fish
in our pond, so per head, I don't think our equipment is that expensive.
There are loads of products on the market that will be cheaper than ours and
they're not too much trouble to look after over the course of the year.

Please check out our site as we have had to deal with an inherited pond like
you have and can help if you need it.

Nick
www.pennix.co.uk

Zone 6...To Pump or not to pump? BenignVanilla Ponds 6 10-03-2004 11:18 PM
Pump in or Pump out? Szpond Ponds 5 15-11-2003 05:32 PM
Pool Pump Cover (was Swimming pool filter/pump question) Raymond Luxury-Yacht Lawns 0 15-05-2003 07:56 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Brian White sci.agriculture 24 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Oz sci.agriculture 13 18-02-2003 05:42 AM