GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   Advice / Instructions for a Bottom Drain (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/148549-advice-instructions-bottom-drain.html)

Rock Beer 09-08-2006 10:05 PM

Advice / Instructions for a Bottom Drain

Hi

Planning on constructing a new pond with a friend at his new house. Basic
plan is 6000ts, concrete lined with a bottom drain. Edges will be raised
60cm or so.

Can anyone advise on any good sites etc with instructions on what's needed
for the botton drain & some installation and construction guidelines?

We're pretty sure we know what we're doing but would like some information
to make sure!

Thanks

Pete Thomas 13-08-2006 06:13 PM

Rock Beer wrote:
Hi

Planning on constructing a new pond with a friend at his new house. Basic
plan is 6000ts, concrete lined with a bottom drain. Edges will be raised
60cm or so.

Can anyone advise on any good sites etc with instructions on what's needed
for the botton drain & some installation and construction guidelines?

We're pretty sure we know what we're doing but would like some information
to make sure!

I think this is asking for trouble and way more expensive than a simple
pump for when/if you need to drain the pond.

Is there a particular reason you can't use a pump, or why you need to
drain the pond at all, as ideally you need the water to stay there to
maintain a good natural balance.

--
Pete Thomas - www.petethomas.co.uk
***********

Rock Beer 14-08-2006 08:26 AM

"Pete Thomas" wrote in message
Rock Beer wrote:
[...]

Sorry, should have made myself clearer!

The bottom drain will run to a pump and bio-filter in a chamber next to the
pond - the "drain" is not for draining the water

Pete Thomas 14-08-2006 05:07 PM

Rock Beer wrote:
[...]

Aha I see. Still a lot more complicated than a gravity or pressure
filter so I would advise against it unless you really really have to.

~ janj[_1_] 15-08-2006 07:23 AM

Advice / Instructions for a Bottom Drain

Can anyone advise on any good sites etc with instructions on
what's needed for the botton drain & some installation and construction
guidelines?

If you check out my website you can find info on bottom drains and how we
did it. Click on *Lily Pond* and you'll see the bottom drain. As far as the
filter it goes to, it is under *My Filter* and *Demo Pond Filter*. There
are bigger bottom drains, you might need 2 for 6,000 (gallons?). ~ jan
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a