GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   Snake in garden pond. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/149472-snake-garden-pond.html)

Barry[_2_] 10-09-2006 08:46 AM

Snake in garden pond.

Hi, I saw a snake in the pond as I feed the fish!

I don't know what is was as it moved quick!

Will it do any harm?

How can I get rid of it?

Barry

Nick Byford 10-09-2006 03:18 PM

Snake in garden pond.

Barry,

It was probably a grass snake and it seems that its favourite food is frogs.
They do eat fish, but unlike some other animals, it is unlikely that it will
take any more than it needs and move elsewhere.

We have had a couple of grass snakes in our pond before and although I
didn't manage to get a picture, they aren't marked quite as brightly as a
lot of other snakes, being (I think) a pale colour on the belly and can be
anything up to nine different markings on their backs
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfact...iles/278.shtml

I don't think you can get rid of them, but why would you want to?

Nick
www.pennix.co.uk