Old 15-10-2006, 01:13 AM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat

Default Calculating Water Volume

I got a formula for calculating the water volume of my pond for the purpose
treating it.. The formula stated length x width x 7.5 = volume.. Why
doesn't the depth of the pond make a difference? The depth is not part of
the formula.

Old 15-10-2006, 08:01 AM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat

"itten" wrote in message
I got a formula for calculating the water volume of my pond for the purpose
treating it.. The formula stated length x width x 7.5 = volume.. Why
doesn't the depth of the pond make a difference? The depth is not part of
the formula.

This formula clearly assumes the depth of your pond is 7.5 (somethings).

You say the formula is for "treating" the pond. It looks like this treatment
is based on the pond's surface area, and the formula is calculating 7.5
whatevers per unit surface area.

HTH

Old 15-10-2006, 12:23 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat

This is the text of the formula I copied

:
CALCULATING YOUR POND'S WATER VOLUME

It is extremely important to know the approximate water volume of
your pond before administering any water conditioner, algacide or
medication. Underdosing will usually not be effective and overdosing
the water can cause problems for your fish. For some, these calculations
will not be difficult; however, some of the winding, curving waterfalls
or free form fountains may make finding the water volume of your pond a
mind bending experience.

SHAPE OF POND CALCULATION OF WATER VOLUME (IN FEET)

Rectanguar or Square Length X Width X 7.5 gallons

Circular Diameter X Diameter X Depth X 5.9 gallons

Oval with straight sides Length X Width X Depth X 6.7 gallons

Old 15-10-2006, 11:31 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat

itten wrote:
This is the text of the formula I copied

CALCULATING YOUR POND'S WATER VOLUME

It is extremely important to know the approximate water volume of
your pond before administering any water conditioner, algacide or
medication. Underdosing will usually not be effective and overdosing
the water can cause problems for your fish. For some, these
calculations will not be difficult; however, some of the winding,
curving waterfalls or free form fountains may make finding the water
volume of your pond a mind bending experience.

SHAPE OF POND CALCULATION OF WATER VOLUME (IN FEET)

Rectanguar or Square Length X Width X 7.5 gallons

Circular Diameter X Diameter X Depth X 5.9 gallons

Oval with straight sides Length X Width X Depth X 6.7 gallons

Someone just missed out the word X Depth in the rectangular formula. The
other two have it.

Thanks, very useful.
--
Quilljar

Flight by machines heavier than air is unpractical and insignificant,
if not utterly impossible Simon Newcomb US Astronomer 1902

Water Volume of 30 inch culvert?? Halcitron Gardening 4 19-04-2005 04:28 PM
Calculating water lift? The~Doofie~Man© Ponds 4 16-05-2004 09:07 PM
Pond water level issues (was: RE Calculating head) BenignVanilla Ponds 0 01-05-2003 06:20 PM
Calculating Head Bob H Ponds 3 01-05-2003 05:56 PM
Error in Calculating Watts perl Gal/lit?? Richmond Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:21 AM