GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   Tadpoles in winter ?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/151363-tadpoles-winter.html)

Colin 05-12-2006 05:13 PM

Tadpoles in winter ??

I've just given a small garden pond (Midlands UK) a bit of a clean and found
a couple of tadpoles alive and swimming in there. I've never come accross
this before, has anyone else in the UK seen this before ?

Thanks
Colin........................

Bill 06-12-2006 07:20 PM

Tadpoles in winter ??

Talking to a mate today he informs me that tadpoles will not turn into frogs
unless the is a way for them to get out of the pond.His dad years ago had a
pet shop and would have tadpoles in a tank for two or three seasons.

Colin 07-12-2006 03:31 PM

Tadpoles in winter ??

"Colin" wrote in message
I've just given a small garden pond (Midlands UK) a bit of a clean and
found a couple of tadpoles alive and swimming in there. I've never come
accross this before, has anyone else in the UK seen this before ?

Thanks
Colin........................
Well this is an odd one, we have had plenty of young frogs from this pond,
I even have rocks in there to allow a way out for any animal. We haven't
had any hard or prolonged frost as yet, maybe that will be the end of them!

Dean A. Markley 19-12-2006 01:26 AM

Tadpoles in winter ??

Colin wrote:
I've just given a small garden pond (Midlands UK) a bit of a clean and found
a couple of tadpoles alive and swimming in there. I've never come accross
this before, has anyone else in the UK seen this before ?

Thanks
Colin........................

Here in the US, bullfrog tadpoles can take two years to change. Is it
possible you have an American invader?

Dean

Colin 19-12-2006 09:13 PM

Tadpoles in winter ??

"Dean A. Markley" wrote in message
. ..
Colin wrote:
I've just given a small garden pond (Midlands UK) a bit of a clean and
found a couple of tadpoles alive and swimming in there. I've never come
accross this before, has anyone else in the UK seen this before ?

Thanks
Colin........................

Here in the US, bullfrog tadpoles can take two years to change. Is it
possible you have an American invader?

Dean

Well Dean, they look like normal UK tadpoles, but then again I don't now
what Bullfrog tadpoles would look like -

Dean A. Markley 24-12-2006 06:08 PM

Tadpoles in winter ??

Colin wrote:
I've just given a small garden pond (Midlands UK) a bit of a clean and
found a couple of tadpoles alive and swimming in there. I've never come
accross this before, has anyone else in the UK seen this before ?

Thanks
Colin........................

Here in the US, bullfrog tadpoles can take two years to change. Is it
possible you have an American invader?

Dean

Well Dean, they look like normal UK tadpoles, but then again I don't now
what Bullfrog tadpoles would look like -

Three to six inches long, big head. See pic at bottom of this page:

http://www.geog.ubc.ca/richmond/city/inventoryfish.html

cheesewhiz 24-12-2006 09:02 PM

I have a small garden pond in West Michigan, USA. This past summer I had frogs spawing in it resulting in a great many tadpoles that, I assumed, would either die off or turn into adult frogs and go and do whatever it is frogs do. Today 12/24/06 I went out to skim some leaves off the surface and to my surprise I saw (and even caught one in my skimmer) multiple tadpoles still alive. Now granted it is still unseasonably mild here (low 40's F) but earlier this winter we had sustained lows in the teens and 20's F. The adults don't survive these temperatures and I am shocked to see that the young ones do. If this thread is still active in spring I will let you know if they made it over winter. BTW these are not bullfrog tadpoles but those of leopard frogs. I don't know what species you have in the UK.

Dave