Old 13-12-2006, 08:40 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat

Default Extreme water loss in Winter Months

Every year - and this year is no exception - Our pond freezes over but
in past years we have kept the waterfall going which in turn keeps the
filter system *unfrozen* exposing all passing water to the elements.
Even with the pond froze over we experience 8-10" of water loss per
week.

In Calgary the conditions for the past 6 years have been hot, cold,
hot, cold and with constant winds. This year we thought we would try a
different route as we live in the country and to truck in water in a
portable tank gets to be a bit cumbersome - so we shut off all lines
and only put in an aireator. This keeps the top of the pond open with
about a 2 1/2 feet circle. We are still loosing water to the elements
of the extreme dry conditions and the winds.

We have found that daily filling is all that we can do to keep up with
the evaporation.

We have now covered the opening with a large piece of wood - We will
keep all of you up-to-date on the evaporation and if it slows at all.

Arlene

Extreme Makeover - Extreme Novice ger_ryan22 Gardening 1 12-04-2010 09:06 PM
Water Loss? bbrown9506 Ponds 5 20-07-2005 08:29 PM
Sudden water loss Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 4 31-05-2005 04:06 PM
tropical plants over winter months DC. United Kingdom 1 18-11-2004 03:07 PM
Potted plant water loss from evaporation? Bruce W...1 Gardening 6 17-11-2003 08:22 AM