GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   Anyone know stuff about tadpoles? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/156871-anyone-know-stuff-about-tadpoles.html)

hy 15-04-2007 01:43 PM

Anyone know stuff about tadpoles?

I have a fish tank in my room and I have put tadpoles in it. They were
tiny at first and then I went on holiday and came back to see that
they had grown a lot. There not frogs yet. But I need some help.
Here are a few questions:

Do they only eat lettuce?
How often should I really change the water?
Toys?

Tell me what you know about tadpole and looking after them.

Thanks

corystes 16-04-2007 08:08 PM

Anyone know stuff about tadpoles?

Tadpoles - frog or toad - start off eating plant material - the green gunge
that forms on the inside of the glass. Those in my pond also suck happily on
the fish pellets. As they grow they need vitamins and hormones from meat to
help them change into adults. That's why you'll see them sucking on any
dead ones on the bottom.
Nicer to put in a piece of raw meat, about the size of the top joint of your
thumb. Tie some thread round it so you can lift it out and change it after
3 or 4 days.
As long as the water looks clear, or greenish they'll be fine. If it looks
murky, especially if it smells off change about half of it. Don't use tap
water - they don't like the chlorine up 'em. Use rain water or pond water.
If you have to use tap water, let a bucket full stand for 3 days - the
chlorine disappears.
When their back legs appear put the tank outside and make sure there are
stones sticking out of the water - as they change from gills to lungs they
need to rest at the surface to breathe. Prop some wood from the stones to
the edge of the tank so that they can climb out when they have become
froglets. Enjoy.
oups.com...