Old 21-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Johng

Default How much salt

What is the correct amount of salt to add to a pond, Salt per gallon.

--
Cheers John
"The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in

Old 01-05-2003, 12:56 PM
N. Zitney

Hi John,
I think we use 1# per 100 gals of water for spring tonic, but I know we
have used more for cures to various ailments. Not remembering I would go
www.koivet.com to check on how much. we should use. HTH.
I am a great fan of Robert Frost. I'd not heard that quote. When living
and growing up in Amherst Mass, I had the pleasure of hearing him 'say you
a poem', his words, and have him visit our english class in HS, and hear a
group of his poems put to music(I was in the chorus that performed them).
We knew that someone had done it before, badly and that he was not
pleased. We also knew he'd been tricked into coming to hear us.
Thankfully tho, this time it had been done well, by composer Randall
Thompson, and after we finished, Frost got up, with that white hair of his
all askew, and said,'Play the last one again'. We were thrilled. I have
a copy of the score for the music with both his and Randall Thompson's
autograph. Quite a thrill for an eleventh grader forty years ago.

Old 02-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Gregory Young

It depends on what you are using it for.
It also depends on what plants you have in your pond.
I hope you are just not adding it, without an indication.
Can you give more info?
Greg

Old 02-05-2003, 03:56 AM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

In article , "Gregory Young"

Subject: How much salt
From: "Gregory Young"
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 21:43:06 GMT

"Johng" wrote in message
What is the correct amount of salt to add to a pond, Salt per gallon.

--
Cheers John
"The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up

in
the morning and does not stop until you get into the office."
-Robert Frost

Well isn't it good for the koi ( I think electrolytces) and to kill parasites?

Sacha
Old 02-05-2003, 06:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"MISSYMAGICGIRL" wrote in message
snip
Well isn't it good for the koi ( I think electrolytces) and to kill

parasites?
snip

I think Greg's point is that salt is a medication when it comes to a
freshwater pond. Under some circumstances it is a good thing, but for
general usage it is not. Chemotherapy (sp?) can help us fight cancer...but I
wouldn't do it every morning just because...

BV.

Old 02-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
"MISSYMAGICGIRL" wrote in message
snip

Well isn't it good for the koi ( I think electrolytces) and to kill

parasites?
snip

I think Greg's point is that salt is a medication when it comes to a
freshwater pond. Under some circumstances it is a good thing, but for
general usage it is not. Chemotherapy (sp?) can help us fight cancer...but I
wouldn't do it every morning just because...

BV.

Quite often it is used in the Spring to help the fish adjust
to the temperature changes and the "nasties" that come with
such changes. It actually irrates the slime coat of the
fish and it becomes thicker and in turn will help protect
the fish.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 06-05-2003, 02:21 AM
Jerrispond

Well isn't it good for the koi ( I think electrolytces) and to kill
parasites?

Sacha....I have never put an ounce of salt in any of my ponds in over 10 years
of ponding Jerri

Old 21-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Jerrispond

It is ok to use in the spring, if you get rid of it with water change outs.
Continuous salt will allow salt resistant parasites to thrive

Thank you for the great article greg....I have never used salt in any of my
ponds Jerri

Old 21-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Priscilla McCullough

I don't either, but then again someone suggested I might be putting salt in
it from my water softener machine thing. I'm go buy a slat kit this weekend
and see.

--
Priss
http://priss31.tripod.com/SmallPond.html

Old 21-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Jerrispond

I don't either, but then again someone suggested I might be putting salt in
it from my water softener machine thing. I'm go buy a slat kit this weekend
and see.

That would account for the burns around the leaves of your plants......Plants
hate salt. I have never heard of a softner that was hooked to the outside
faucets however. Jerri

Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
how much plant is too much plant for fish at night? linda mar Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:23 AM
lighting... how much is too much? Phil Williamson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
how much plant is too much plant for fish at night? linda mar Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 20-02-2003 03:54 AM
lighting... how much is too much? redled Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 09-02-2003 05:13 AM