Old 04-05-2003, 04:44 PM
N. Zitney

Default Koi not eating

Welcome to the world of ponds. It is very common for fish in a new
pond(to them) not to be seen for several days. If you have algae on the
sides of the pond this will feed little guys like you have for an
indefinite time. They will eventually come up to eat after they get over
the trauma of being relocated. We had one fish hide for 3 mos!!I was
badmouthing the bullfrogs 'cuz I was sure they had eaten him, but he's
there and 7" long now. If they don't come up floating, they're probably
ok.
Have you checked your water parameters? ours will not eat if the PH is
off. Good Luck, and give them some time. I bet they sneak up to the top
when you're not looking.
Nan
"Comcast Mail" wrote in message
I bought a new house with a small pond, Probably appox 200 gallon pond.

This
is my first time rearing water animal so I may sound silly. I put 2 very
small koi, probably 4 inches. I bought small pellet koi food. And as
instructed I gave food to the koi twice a day. The instruction says that

the
feeding time is approx 3 minutes. But my kois never go to the surface to
eat. They live happily under the water for over a week already. So I am
confused to whether what I am doing is correct. Please enlighten me.

Thai

Old 06-05-2003, 03:21 AM
Jerrispond

The koi are just getting used to the new pond. The pond is too small for koi.
You need 1000 gallons for the first koi and then over 100 gallons for each
other one.....so for your 2 kooi you need at least 1100 gallons. Koi also need
some areas of the pond that are at least 3 feet deep . They will do fine now,
and when they grow larger they will die because of the water quality the small
pond will have. Sorry Jerri

Old 06-05-2003, 03:21 AM
Comcast Mail

This is disheartening... This is what I have, a 8'x6'x2.5'(D) pond. And I
have a biofilter. Will this keep the kois living? Otherwise, when they grow
too big, I may have to give them away.

Thai

"Jerrispond" wrote in message
The koi are just getting used to the new pond. The pond is too small for

koi.
You need 1000 gallons for the first koi and then over 100 gallons for

each
other one.....so for your 2 kooi you need at least 1100 gallons. Koi also

need
some areas of the pond that are at least 3 feet deep . They will do fine

now,
and when they grow larger they will die because of the water quality the

small
pond will have. Sorry Jerri

So how do I kill off a heron thats eating my koi Tristan Ponds 66 11-01-2007 07:03 PM
Koi eating a snake JoeT Ponds 5 25-05-2006 05:58 AM
koi eating plants Destroyallx Ponds 15 28-05-2004 03:12 AM
How many koi is too many koi Carl Beyer Ponds 16 17-08-2003 01:04 AM
koi and plants? depends on the pond size.... and the koi's diet... adavisus Ponds 3 07-08-2003 09:22 AM