Old 06-05-2003, 03:21 AM
James & Julie Fields

Default building 1 acre pond?

Hello,
I am getting ready to buy a small piece of land and have a home built onit.
I am interested in building a small pond on it too. The land is 3.5 acres
and I would like to build a pond about 1 to 1.5 acres or so. I was doing my
research online and found out that it is recommended to talk to you about
finding out how to do this.How do I go about getting one set up or where can
I go to get the help I need in doing this?

Old 07-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Gregory Young

I have 2 ponds, both 1/2 acre.
I would recommend you contact your equivalent of the DEC (Department of
Environmental Conservation) that we have here is New York State. I don't
know where you reside, so the agency may be different.
You can also talk with your local agricultural extension.
If you have trouble finding either of the above, start off with your local
town board for references.
In our region you need no permits constructing ponds up to 1/2 acre in size.
Above that the DEC needs to be involved during planning and permit/testing
costs start and rapidly go up with increasing size, according to the pond
builders I have talked to.
That is why I went with 2 separate ponds, which has allowed me to use the
two for testing different plant cultivation techniques, fish populations,
etc.
Happy ponding,
Greg
PS There are some great books and references on building farm ponds
available. Read before you hire a contractor.