Old 14-05-2003, 12:56 AM
TrueBlue

Default Heron deterrent

Can anyone suggest a good way to keep herons from eating my koi?

Old 14-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Priscilla McCullough

The only sure way is to net your pond.
They have come out with some pretty good netting now that lets you enjoy
your pond while keeping your fish safe.
Priss
http://priss31.tripod.com/SmallPond.html

"TrueBlue" wrote in message
.net...
Can anyone suggest a good way to keep herons from eating my koi?

Old 16-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Jerrispond

Can anyone suggest a good way to keep herons from eating my koi?

A 22 with hollow points!!! Jerri

Old 03-06-2003, 04:20 PM
\(...

The only prob i have found wiv the plastic herons, is some male
herons will think that its a female heron. Then it attracts them as
they think they might be in luck wiv some ladies & gentlemen thingy
but the birdie type...

K.W.I.M.

"Tex" wrote in message
I've found that deploying a lifelike fake heron seems to keep the live

ones
at bay. We 'installed' this one about tw0 years ago and, touch wood,

haven't
lost a fish since.

"TrueBlue" wrote in message
.net...
Can anyone suggest a good way to keep herons from eating my koi?

Old 03-07-2003, 12:54 AM
Registered User

Location: Herts, UK

Herons are teritorial birds or so they say.
For me an artificial stork that I move around the pond about once every 2 weeks does the trick.

Old 03-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Cookie

Glad that works you ..Cookie

Old 04-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Registered User

Location: Luton UK

Tried fake herons / fake foxes but no luck.
Tried nets over pond but heron will still stab fish to death even tho it can't get them out of the pond.
Currently trying a low wire 'fence' (about 30cm high) all way round edge of pond and it seems to be working.
Incidentally, I have noticed that crows don't seem to like herons and will mob them, so I'm trying to encourage crows into the garden with the odd bit of meat or chick carcass on top of the garage.
Who knows?
Old 04-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Jerrispond

..22 hollow point will get rid of them Jerri

Old 23-09-2003, 10:11 AM
Registered User

Location: Luton UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerrispond
..22 hollow point will get rid of them Jerri

Much too law abiding for that sort of thing, or elecrified trip wires or plastic goldfish with razor blade dorsal fins or.....oops, giving away the secrets now!
Old 20-06-2004, 10:30 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerrispond
..22 hollow point will get rid of them Jerri

wat is 22 hollow????????

Old 20-06-2004, 07:02 PM
dkat

rifle bullet I believe - gets you thrown in jail in some parts of the
country, won't stop the problem (another heron will take its place) and
strikes me as very unponder like... but then I have a pond because I like
the wildlife it supports and I don't buy $10,000 Koi (which is something I
can no more understand than buying a $100,000 car)... May be why I'm in
more trouble than not at ponds.rec - that and my political views....

"rushy" wrote in message
s.com...

http://tinyurl.com/lowy * wat is 22 hollow????????