Old 17-05-2003, 10:56 PM
LRobi31070

Default pond cleaner

Who was i talking to about the pond cleaner? i have lost the post. It was the
one used on small ponds.
Old 18-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Roger Hack

For what it is worth, I use a swimming pool vac to clean my pond. My pond is
about eight foot by nine foot and two feet deep. It gets all the debris from
the bottom easily and was much less expensive than a pond vac. I also put a
square of barley in my bio box/waterfall to help control algae. That is
about all I ever have to do the skimmer gets the rest. I hope I was of any
help.

Old 18-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Priscilla McCullough

What cleaner are you talking about? Something you pour in or to clean the
bottom?
I like Roger use a pool vac that I hook onto my wet/dry vac. I got to get me
another vac though, mines on it last leg.
Priss

Old 18-05-2003, 07:56 PM
LRobi31070

Does it suck out a lot of water in the process?
Old 19-05-2003, 12:04 AM
Priscilla McCullough

Yeah a pretty good bit. Mine only holds 20 gals so when it fills up you have
to turn it off and dump the water out.
Works good for me. I clean the bottom and mostly by that time it takes about
a 20 to 25 % of water out. So thats good. Just add in fresh water. Fish seem
to love it. I do it maybe every month n a half in the summer.
Priss

Old 19-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Roger Hack

I have an actual pool vac that I got from a home improvement store. It was
about $20.00. It is hooked to a garden hose and vacuums out the bottom and
the shelves. It collects the debris in a small mesh bag. It works miracles
to me. I never lose any water in the process.

Old 19-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Priscilla McCullough

Yeah but I heard you do want some clean water every other month. ???? Fish
seem to enjoy it anyways. :-)
The fish will chase the water as I spray it in with the nossle. Now all I
got to do is buy a few more landscaping plants and get my lights fixed out
there. Maybe next weekend.
I would take a picy but DH has my camera with him in France. (working)
I just hope the stray dog stays out my yard this time.
--
Priss
http://priss31.tripod.com/SmallPond.html

Old 19-05-2003, 04:56 AM
LRobi31070

Priss, good luck with the dogs! (No sarcasm intended. I am clarifying that!)
I hope I have some luck with the pond cleaner I am getting!
Old 19-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Priscilla McCullough

I know you don't mean any sarcasm. I never thought you did. I knew you were
talking about my pond.
What are you getting?

Old 19-05-2003, 06:44 PM
LRobi31070

A lady from another ponding group bought a cleaner for her pond and decided it
was too small for her pond and didnt want to even try it. So , she is sending
it to me for postage. I cant wait to get it and try it. I will let you know how
it works!

Old 20-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Barbara Harrison

It was me who thought you were being sarcastic. But I understand now, we
have got it all sorted out. Sorry! My pics for my small (mini) pond are on
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/harrisonbolton/pond

Old 20-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Barbara Harrison

correction

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/harrisonbolton/pond.html

Old 20-05-2003, 09:44 PM
LRobi31070

I have a small pond too! They are fun and interesting to take care of as
well!
What kind of plants do you have in your pond?
Old 22-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Barbara Harrison

I'm afraid I don't know the names of most of them. I cant grow lilies
because I think the pond is too shallow as well as being shaded. I have some
that grow on woody kind of stems and keep throwing up leaves that start
under the water and then grow up above, One with fancy leaves that likes to
be anchored to something, but will grow floating as well, I have pond
soldiers, Canadian pond weed, and some marginal plants that are on the shelf
of what used to be a bath in a former life, including some large yellow
irises and some small blue ones. The plants rarely flower in my pond, maybe
because it is shady and our climate is colder than yours, I believe (I am in
the north west of England), so we have planted troughs around the pond, with
Busy Lizzies and trailing lobelia, which should be quite colourful in a few
weeks. What do you plant in your small pond?

Barbara

Old 22-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Chrissy

what kind of wet/dry vac would be best to use on approx. 1000 gallon pond.
I'm trying to still get rid of the dirt that is on the bottom of the pond.
I can only do so much with the Python that I have that I use for my
aquarium.

I am also concerned about wasting water as well. The python uses so much
water for suction power. Does a Wet/Dry Vac need a lot of water to run it,
or any at all? I'm not sure how the suction works on these things, the only
thing I come up with on searches is links to buy them, no info. on how they
work. Also would I need a pool vac as well on this to clean the pond, or
can I just use the extensions that come with the wet/dry vac? If I would
need a pool vac, Which one works best?

I know so many questions... Thank you for your time.

Chrissy