Old 21-06-2003, 05:08 PM
David Williams

Default Blanket weed

I know there are lots of products available, but can anyone recommend a
really good solution (forgive the pun)?
thanks
David

Old 22-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Jerrispond

I know there are lots of products available, but can anyone recommend a
really good solution (forgive the pun)?

water hyacinths and a tablespoon of 0-0-60 per 1000 gallons every couple of
weeks. This works even better than the alum I used for years. Jerri

Old 22-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Johng

I Use a product in the UK called BLANC-KIT and find it very effective
and gives about 4-5 months protection. So I only dose once a year in the
spring.

http://www.interceluk.com/blanketw.htm
--

Cheers John
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.gamesby/snakes2.html

Old 22-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Rodney Pont

On 22 Jun 2003 00:30:18 GMT, Jerrispond wrote:

I know there are lots of products available, but can anyone recommend a
really good solution (forgive the pun)?

water hyacinths and a tablespoon of 0-0-60 per 1000 gallons every couple of
weeks. This works even better than the alum I used for years. Jerri

That's potash David. You can get sulphate of potash with 48% soluble
potash easily, B&Q had a 60% soluble one last year. Make sure you get
something with only potash in it though.

The plants need potash to take up the other nutrients and the algae
doesn't. With this added the plants starve the algae of food. Pull the
algae out as it dies.

Water hyacinths grow well but only flower in the UK with a really good
summer.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail ngps07 (at) infohit (dot) fsnet (dot) co (dot) uk

Old 27-06-2003, 07:19 PM
BenignVanilla

"Jerrispond" wrote in message
I know there are lots of products available, but can anyone recommend a
really good solution (forgive the pun)?

water hyacinths and a tablespoon of 0-0-60 per 1000 gallons every couple

of
weeks. This works even better than the alum I used for years. Jerri

Jerri, I can't find the 0-0-60 anywhere. Where are you getting it?

BV.

Old 28-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Jerrispond

Jerri, I can't find the 0-0-60 anywhere. Where are you getting it?

I haven't bought any yet this year...Last year I got it at a " for real
nursery" ( as opposed to Home Depot kind). I was also told ACE hardware had
it, and also some feed stores. It comes in a small bag, and was in with the
specialty fertilizers ( like blood meal, and bone meal etc) 2 to 5 pounds
will last forever. I am running close to 15,000 gallons, and still have some
left. Jerri

Old 30-06-2003, 03:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"Jerrispond" wrote in message
Jerri, I can't find the 0-0-60 anywhere. Where are you getting it?

I haven't bought any yet this year...Last year I got it at a " for real
nursery" ( as opposed to Home Depot kind). I was also told ACE hardware

had
it, and also some feed stores. It comes in a small bag, and was in with

the
specialty fertilizers ( like blood meal, and bone meal etc) 2 to 5

pounds
will last forever. I am running close to 15,000 gallons, and still have

some
left. Jerri

What is normally used for? I have found when going to stores, you need to
ask for the normal usage...IE...ask for calcite and you get a blank stare.
Ask for lime, and they have 3 brands.

BV.

Old 30-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Jerrispond

What is normally used for?

making plants strong...and primarly just what we use it for in the pond .....to
make the hyacinths grow real fast and starve out the algea....0-0-60- itself
does nothing for the algea. I always remember the numbers....first # is for
leaves-2nd # is for blooms- 3rd # is for plant vigor. Jerri

Blanket Weed (long post) David Hickman United Kingdom 3 11-07-2003 09:57 PM
Blanket Weed Arthur United Kingdom 0 08-07-2003 11:37 PM
Blanket weed stacey Ponds 2 30-06-2003 12:20 AM
Blanket weed as/is a veggie filter plant Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 2 27-04-2003 03:20 AM
Blanket weed on my baby water lilies eric United Kingdom 2 22-03-2003 07:32 PM