Old 23-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Marc Brown

Default Need recommendations for garden pond / veranda accessories

Actually, "veranda" isn't quite the word for it. My mother has put together
a strange thing in one corner of her back yard. It has a comfortable bench
and a chair to sit down in, a little garden pond complete with small fish
and some aquatic plants, and it has a roof of sorts, making it feasible to
relax in even if it's raining. But it is not enclosed; there are no walls
apart from the fence, so one can walk in and out of it at will, and of
course so can insects. It measures perhaps 8' x 8'.

I'm trying to hunt around for things that might be useful for such an
environment. I don't think she needs anything for the pond (like mosquito
larvae poison or whatever). I'm talking about things like a small wind
chime or something else I can't even imagine. I unfortunately don't have a
great deal of experience with this sort of thing so I'm sure I am
overlooking some obvious possibilities.

Recommendations welcome!
Old 23-06-2003, 08:20 AM
zookeeper

Marc Brown wrote:
Actually, "veranda" isn't quite the word for it. My mother has put together
a strange thing in one corner of her back yard. It has a comfortable bench
and a chair to sit down in, a little garden pond complete with small fish
and some aquatic plants, and it has a roof of sorts, making it feasible to
relax in even if it's raining ...

I'm trying to hunt around for things that might be useful for such an
environment

A garden torch or solar light for evening viewing (for maximum use, get
citronella oil for the torch to ward off the insects -- it works, sometimes)
A chime or flag or pinwheel that moves in the wind
A terra cotta wall hanging (green man, smiling sun, fish, flowers)
A hanging flower basket with her favorite flower or flowers in her
favorite color
Herb plants or scented plants (scented geraniums, roses, lavender)
A hanging fan activated with a cord that you gently pull when you want
breeze

HTH
--
zookeeper