GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   swim bladder (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/3398-swim-bladder.html)

Priscilla McCullough 03-03-2003 12:27 AM

swim bladder

Does anybody know if anything treats swim bladder?
I think one of my fancy goldfish has it.

Jerrispond 03-03-2003 02:52 AM

swim bladder

Does anybody know if anything treats swim bladder?
I think one of my fancy goldfish has it.

Is it swimming upside down? I had a fish that got it every spring for 3
years....She was fine the rest of the year. I don't think there is a treatment
Priss. How you been anyway....Is that stupid neighbors dog gone? I'd have
shot him I think!! Guess you heard I've been real sick...How is your sweet
son? ..Love to you Jerri

TeichFlora 03-03-2003 08:52 PM

swim bladder

Does anybody know if anything treats swim bladder?
I think one of my fancy goldfish has it.

I found that feeding peas (frozen whole, thawed) helps this problem often. I
asked about it several years ago on the ng's and several "experts" said they
agreed that it helps.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf coast

Priscilla McCullough 03-03-2003 10:16 PM

swim bladder

Hi Jerri!
No I didn't hear you were sick. This is the first time I have been on the
computer in about 1 1/2 months.
My hubby has been downloading my mail for me. I had just been extremely busy
going to workshops for my class. The school took me out of the special needs
class I was in and now I am in the EDB class (Emotionally disturbed
behavior).
I had went to several workshops on self defense and on non-violent
intervention.

Are you ok? Joey is doing just fine. :-)

My fish is one thats inside in the tank. I noticed he has been up top a lot
here lately and then yesterday he just acted like he couldn't hardly get
down to the bottom of the tank. A couple of times he even does like a
somersault and guides down to the bottom. I noticed his tummy appears really
fat but then again he has always been fat. lol Hes one of my favorites so I
didn't want anything to happen to him.
I went ahead and put a little bit of DesaFin in there last night. I guess it
couldn't hurt none.

The neighbors dog hasn't been around. This spring when I start my pond back
up I'm go have to net it. Although the dog got all my fish his last visit I
have seen a Heron out there twice so I'll nip that one in the bud before I
start it back up. The only thing is it probably won't keep the dog out, I'll
have to be replacing netting every month unless someone knows how I can rig
it up. If I'm home when he comes I can always tie him up and call animal
control but the last time he came I was at work.
Hows your pond been?

Hugs,
Priss

Priscilla McCullough 03-03-2003 11:28 PM

swim bladder

Thanks Noreen.
I'll have to go to the store tomorrow and get some.
Do you feed it whole to them or remove the skin?
Priss

TeichFlora 04-03-2003 12:05 AM

swim bladder

Thanks Noreen.
I'll have to go to the store tomorrow and get some.
Do you feed it whole to them or remove the skin?
Priss

Yes, I do remove the skins from the peas. I have heard that one doesn't need
to do this with the larger fish, but mine are all goldfish, so I do remove the
skin and give small pieces to the smaller fish. They love it.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

Priscilla McCullough 04-03-2003 12:31 AM

swim bladder

Thats what I have is fancy goldfish. What do you feed your fish Noreen?
I have always fed mine ( the ones indoors and out in the pond) the reg.
flake food and also floating sticks.
I have read where this isn't always the healthiest for your fish.

TeichFlora 04-03-2003 07:52 PM

swim bladder

Thats what I have is fancy goldfish. What do you feed your fish Noreen?
I have always fed mine ( the ones indoors and out in the pond) the reg.
flake food and also floating sticks.
I have read where this isn't always the healthiest for your fish.
Priss

I feed mine flakes, pellets, sticks...depending on size of fish. Found that
the little fish cannot eat the large food as well as the flakes. Might not be
the best thing, but it works for me....and people all over the world have been
using it for years before all this gourmet fish food came out...so....I think
it is a matter of preference...especially when you are talking goldfish, not
some expensive koi.

Just my opinion,
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

Gregory Young 05-03-2003 12:03 AM

swim bladder

Some claim that laxatives, such as brine shrimp (frozen fine), work as well.
The problem is usually a blockage in the swim bladder neck (think of it like
a gallstone).
For an expensive show type of fish, or fish that really you really have an
attachment to, a fish knowledgeable vet can perform surgery to repair the
problem.
Happy ponding,
Greg