Old 22-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Chrissy

Default Pond pictures and update

Dont know if some of you may remember me posting. I was one of the ones
that had dirt in my water. Well we had to drain it out, got out all the
rocks in the pond and set it back up again. In the meantime we transferred
our Comets over to a holding tank and lost 3 of them due to the excessive
heat in the house while getting the pond back in shape to put them into
again. We had 11, lost one due to a fallen rock into the pond, and lost 3
more in the tank. We now have 7 left and they are growing so big. We will
be getting a few more Comets soon once the water clears up a bit, I'm
crossing fingers here.

Out of all the plants that we had in there from those small baskets you can
get at some pet stores, only the Hardy Lilies have grown. We have about 8
or so lily pads, and our first blossom appeared today, of all days. Its
murky here in Massachusetts today and stormy. It brightened up my day
though, as I was awaiting it to bloom :0)

After draining the pond by using the pump and a long hose attached to it we
set it back up after washing down the liner. Of course it poured almost the
whole week after we set it up again and more mud got in there before we
could fully finish putting the rock border around the edges to keep the
liner in place. We now have murky but its also looking pea soup green as
well, which it was never doing before. So I'm happy even with the Algae
bloom in the water, so I know at least its getting sunlight so to speak. I
have tried using the Python that I have for our tanks in the house but its
not picking up the dirt, so I may have to get a wet/dry vac or something. I
was thinking about adding some of those marbles for aquariums to put in the
lower ends of the pond so if I need to get in there I dont slip on the
liner.

Anyways, I have added some pictures of it up on our website if any of you
would like to take a look and let me know any ideas on what to put up around
the taller sides of the pond along the top shelf for plants or whatever.

Chrissy
http://www.thejoyals.net/pond.html

Old 22-07-2003, 06:32 PM
DonKcR

Chrissy, Hi from Phoenix AZ. Looks like you have been a real busy couple.
The pond looks real nice. They are allot of trouble at times but as a new
pond person myself I can tell you that you will have allot of fun with the
projects. I had the pea soup pond for a couple of weeks I was told to keep
the filter good and clean and it soon clears up. As long as the water test
good for the fish your ok. My pond cleared up then the nitrite level was
high still working on that but it is slowly getting better. My problem was
that I purchased to many fish not knowing the limit for my pond. The fish
are doing great and look healthy so as long as the water keeps getting
better were ok here. I wish you could send us some of your rain, I'd be
happy to send some sun. Last week we had a low of 107 and a high of 118.
Just a hint that someone told me not to put gravel or small rocks in the
pond they are hard to clean and the waste from the fish gets between them
and that causes you future problems. Remember I'm new at this could be wrong
but maybe a more expert pond owner will tell you more technical information
on that. Good Luck Kc

Old 22-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Mistatee

"Chrissy" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Chrissy........

Your pond is a similar size and shape to mine
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.thomas4/MyPond.html

Just a suggestion but what about nipping off adjacent corners and filling
with rocks (see my page) and planting up.

In April I cleaned out the bottom of my pond (100% water change).........
that's the first time I have done that in nearly 20 years and to be quite
honest I don't know why I bothered as there wasn't much muck down there. It
was a quick affair. Filled the bath ( that was the fish home for an hour or
so )and 30 gal water butt and a few odd containers with the pond water.

The water has gone through the green spell......... now crystal clear. I
haven't bothered with the uv this year. I'm surprised it's so clear
considering it has been hot and sunny for a couple of months in the UK.

Steve

---

Old 22-07-2003, 06:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"Chrissy" wrote in message

Dont know if some of you may remember me posting. I was one of the ones
that had dirt in my water.

snip
After draining the pond by using the pump and a long hose attached to it

we
set it back up after washing down the liner. Of course it poured almost

the
whole week after we set it up again and more mud got in there before we
could fully finish putting the rock border around the edges to keep the
liner in place. We now have murky but its also looking pea soup green as
well, which it was never doing before.

snip

Often, you (the royal you, not chrissy) read advice here and ignore it
because there is something about knowing/doing yourself. I know this from my
mud problem. My water was opaque orange for months. I tried everything,
draining, particle filtering, calcite, etc.

The true solution...tons of plants...and tons of STOP MESSING WITH THE DAMN
POND!!!! Chrissy I promise you, and everyone here will tell you I know what
I am talking about. Get your rocks up, so you have no more run off. Toss
your plants in, and STOP MESSING WITH THE DAMN POND!!! If I would have just
listened when everyone told me to stop run off and STOP MESSING WITH THE
DAMN POND!!!, my clay problems would have been over weeks ago.

I now have gin clear water, because I stopped run-off, tossed in a lot of
plants, and (say it with me now) STOPPED MESSING WITH THE DAMN POND.

In short, stop run off, lots of plants, STOP MESSING WITH THE DAMN POND!!!

BV.

Old 23-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Chrissy

I agree with you totally.. I have a 55 gallon fish tank started with a 10
and then moved on now onto a pond outside. Can never have too many I think
lol. Anyway, I had always cleaned it routinely, sometimes I think I did
more to it then it needed. Then pea soup water came and hit out of the blue
and nothing i did to try to fix it worked. Unfortunately there was
something wrong with the water supply in our Town and many people were
getting the green water. I had found this out after I transferred
everything over from my 55 to a 10 and lost about 8 fish overnight I
then set the tank back up again and put the surviving fish in the next day
and within a week or two again it started getting cloudy from the bacterial
bloom and then pea soup green again. I added some algae fix, and it cleared
up within 2 hours. I then planted the tank and it has been on and off with
some blooms but nothing compared to what is was. I do water changes when
needed when the chemicals get too high, but nothing like I used to do with
putting in chemicals to clear the tank, I just let nature takes it course
and everything works out in the end. Now I have a crystal clear tank and
dont do much with it.

I'm just hoping that the pond will work itself out. I need to plant some
plants around the shelving to cover up some of the liner that shows around
the edges and also help with the beauty of the pond. We are awaiting the
grass to grow in the dirt areas outside the pond so that we can put in a
bench there to sit and enjoy it now.

Chrissy

Old 23-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Chrissy

You have a beautiful pond. I just love the way you did your plants. I see
you built up a dam in your notes. How did you go about doing the rock wall
or whatever you did. Did you use any kind of cement or anything like that?
I have a top shelf going the whole way around the pond and was thinking
about putting plants there but don't know what to do about soil and stuff
like that as I am just getting the hang of it and don't want to mess it up
with more dirt. Right now my lily is in one of those plant cages or
whatever you call them that came from a box that I got from PetSmart. I had
gotten a cattail but that hasn't grown and a few other plants as well from
there that never grew either. I saw that you said you can grow other plants
in there as well. Are any good for getting out the gunk from the water,
like soil that has been blown in or has stuck to the liner?

Thanks for the information.

Great site.

Chrissy

Old 23-07-2003, 02:02 AM
Chrissy

Thanks so much!

I have added in some poly/cotton batting into the filter to help pick up
some of the dirt, but most of it has settled now and is reflecting off from
the water. The pond levels for PH, Nitrite, Nitrate, etc. are looking good.

I can't imagine having 107 to 118 temps here. It has been humid except for
the past two weekends, it was actually and finally nice to work and finish
up most of the pond.

I read that on the boards about the gravel and it trapping dirt and fish
waste so that was another reason I wanted to get rid of it besides the fact
that it brought so much dirt in with it, so I was thinking the marbles, but
it may be a bad idea too huh? But I'm not sure what to put the plants in
when I add some more in, for dirt, or soil or whatever. Any ideas on what I
could do for something not to slip on. I'm a klutz lol.

Chrissy

Old 23-07-2003, 02:12 AM
RichToyBox

Chrissy,

I use pond shoes that I get at wallyworld. They are great at reducing the
slipperiness of the bottom when I am in working. Doc Johnson said that what
he tells people when he does house calls and they are in the pond slipping
and sliding trying to catch the fish for him to look at, is take athletic
socks and turn them inside out. I haven't tried that one, yet. The deeper
the pond, the more buoyant you become, making less weight against the liner,
and the slicker it becomes. My small pond is about 2 feet deep and it is a
breeze to walk in. The big pond is about 3.5 feet deep, and only through
luck have I not gone under. Of course if it was 7 feet deep, I wouldn't
slip at all.
--
RichToyBox

Old 23-07-2003, 02:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"Chrissy" wrote in message
[...]

I'll take green tank water, if I could just get the algae off the glass.

I'm just hoping that the pond will work itself out. I need to plant some
plants around the shelving to cover up some of the liner that shows around
the edges and also help with the beauty of the pond. We are awaiting the
grass to grow in the dirt areas outside the pond so that we can put in a
bench there to sit and enjoy it now.

snip

I tried seed around my pond and kept losing it. Birds I guess. Go spend a
few extra bucks (Just a few) and through a few pieces of sod down. It will
help with the run off, and take root very quickly.

BV.

Old 23-07-2003, 03:02 PM
BenignVanilla

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
. net...
Chrissy,

I use pond shoes that I get at wallyworld. They are great at reducing the
slipperiness of the bottom when I am in working. Doc Johnson said that

what
he tells people when he does house calls and they are in the pond slipping
and sliding trying to catch the fish for him to look at, is take athletic
socks and turn them inside out. I haven't tried that one, yet. The

deeper
the pond, the more buoyant you become, making less weight against the

liner,
and the slicker it becomes. My small pond is about 2 feet deep and it is

breeze to walk in. The big pond is about 3.5 feet deep, and only through
luck have I not gone under. Of course if it was 7 feet deep, I wouldn't
slip at all.

snip

My pond is slick, and I have no horizontal shelves. I mistakenly put an
angle on everything to help guide goo to my bottom drain. I have found that
if you slide your feet, and remove some of the slime as you go, you can get
better footing. Don't walk, shuffle.

BV.

Old 24-07-2003, 12:03 AM
zookeeper

BenignVanilla wrote:
"RichToyBox" wrote in message
I use pond shoes that I get at wallyworld. They are great at reducing the
slipperiness of the bottom when I am in working ...

My pond is slick, and I have no horizontal shelves ... I have found that
if you slide your feet, and remove some of the slime as you go, you can get
better footing. Don't walk, shuffle.

But, ... uh ...., doesn't that stir up the clay?!??!? ducking ;-)

zookeeper

Old 24-07-2003, 03:42 AM
DonKcR

Chrissy, I'm in your boat so new that I do things by trial and error. But
there are alot of helpful people here and this site, so I'm sure you can get
lots of help. I haven't got any of your rain yet! Good Luck from Phoenix Kc

Old 29-07-2003, 09:12 PM
BenignVanilla

"zookeeper" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:
"RichToyBox" wrote in message
I use pond shoes that I get at wallyworld. They are great at reducing

the
slipperiness of the bottom when I am in working ...

My pond is slick, and I have no horizontal shelves ... I have found

that
if you slide your feet, and remove some of the slime as you go, you can

get
better footing. Don't walk, shuffle.

But, ... uh ...., doesn't that stir up the clay?!??!? ducking ;-)

zookeeper

*grumble*

Yes, some muck can be stirred up using this method, but it keeps me from
being soaked in orange water.

BV.

Old 29-07-2003, 09:22 PM
johnrutz

BenignVanilla wrote:

.

But, ... uh ...., doesn't that stir up the clay?!??!? ducking ;-)

zookeeper

*grumble*

Yes, some muck can be stirred up using this method, but it keeps me from
being soaked in orange water.

BV.

hey BV ever thought of getin some of that instant tan spray?

I understand it turns you orange ---------- then you and the pond will
match ;-)
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 30-07-2003, 02:02 PM
BenignVanilla

"johnrutz" wrote in message

BenignVanilla wrote:
"zookeeper" wrote in message

BenignVanilla wrote:

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
.

But, ... uh ...., doesn't that stir up the clay?!??!? ducking ;-)

zookeeper

*grumble*

Yes, some muck can be stirred up using this method, but it keeps me from
being soaked in orange water.

BV.

hey BV ever thought of getin some of that instant tan spray?

I understand it turns you orange ---------- then you and the pond will
match ;-)

And what for me hair?

BV.

am posting pictures of arrivals in Fairy Holler on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens cardarch Gardening 13 14-04-2006 03:10 AM
UpDate pond pictures Wilmdale Ponds 1 24-12-2005 09:54 PM
attempts to post pictures on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens madgardener Gardening 6 02-09-2005 04:43 PM
more attempted sending of pictures on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens madgardener Gardening 4 02-09-2005 07:08 AM
Pond pictures and update Chrissy Ponds 17 31-07-2003 01:13 AM